AuthorTopic: [WIP] Mecha-RPG  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

[WIP] Mecha-RPG

on: July 20, 2010, 10:25:01 am
Hello,
I've followed a few threads in here, and love the way people help each other out with crits and advice. Because of this I've decided to give it a shot and hopefully learn and grow as an artist.

This is recent RPG mock-up based on a short sci-fi comic I made awhile ago: http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/paiku_desu/tim3.jpg
I just love the idea of RPG's involving mecha, such as Xenogears(which is my main inspiration)

I'm going to update this and see how it ends up. I'd love some critiques or objections  :y:

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Mecha-RPG

Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 11:36:49 am
with the mecha, i notice that he looks a little bit too stiff and the angles are a little off. Try making his stance like he's going to slice you, instead of making him look idle, and he looks like you are looking at him from more of a front view, rather than angled up top...

i love the amount of detail you used in the background and tiles, even though it uses a ton of colors.

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:03 pm
Update:

I tried losing the stiffness as you said. At first I wanted him to look kinda cold/idle, anyway I like this pose better.
Also added some blaze for the mecha and tried reducing amount of colors for the tiles.

i love the amount of detail you used in the background and tiles, even though it uses a ton of colors.

This is the result of a newb like me who don't use a palette... that said, I have to learn how to use palettes  :n:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:34:11 pm by Paiku »

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 08:32:48 am
Way too much pillow shading type stuff  :wah: Sort of reminded me of a shooter like Guwange.

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:44:43 pm
8-dir mecha:

Looking glitchy thou..

Way too much pillow shading type stuff  :wah: Sort of reminded me of a shooter like Guwange.

It took awhile for me to figure. Yes, I have to reduce the amount of pillows and create more variation, cause atm it's killing my eyes..

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 05:05:23 pm by Paiku »

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:34:18 pm
Tried to reduce the monotonous sand dunes a little. Added updated tiles overall.
Experimented a bit with the colors. Maybe a bit washed out atm..  :mean:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 06:26:20 am
Your newest brick path tiles are really nice looking, it would be great if you expanded on those- made more variations and made more tiles to blend them into the desert.
for the mech, when you are trying to represent shiny surfaces, the best way to do so is harsh contrast and reflected light. Shiny material goes from highlight to shadow faster than any other. Work with "speculars" or little circles of intense highlight and have an area under the shadow that is lighter ( reflected light) Heres an edit of the chest and shoulders to show you what I mean:

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:34:39 am
Those stone pathway tiles are nice.

To be honest, I preferred the previous colors - the new ones are blinding to me. Now it looks like the characters are on Mars. (Are they on Mars? It just occurs to me that that could be possible, haha.)

Edit: I can totally spell previous right.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 05:08:15 pm by StarRaven »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:47:00 am
I also preferred the previous colors. The bricks add a nice touch.

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 08:58:09 pm
I tried to take all of your advices and I think it's improving slooowly:

Shiny material goes from highlight to shadow faster than any other. Work with "speculars" or little circles of intense highlight and have an area under the shadow that is lighter ( reflected light)
Thank you for the edit, great advice.

Those stone pathway tiles are nice.

To be honest, I preferred the previous colors - the new ones are blinding to me. Now it looks like the characters are on Mars. (Are they on Mars? It just occurs to me that that could be possible, haha.)

Haha, you're right it looked like they were on mars. They were not supposed to be there :P

Edit: Here's a sketch of the main protagonist:

« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:15:09 am by Paiku »