AuthorTopic: [WiP] Sprite Base and Tiles  (Read 11158 times)

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Re: [WiP] Sprite Base and Tiles

Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 04:21:07 pm

Does it look a bit better now?

In any case, the best way to break up a grid to use different tiles. Don't just tile 1 tile, tile several with little changes. Don't forget to use some tiles that are just 1 color either.
Yes, I know. :3 I haven't made them yet, but I do plan to have a few of each tile. I want to get this one fixed first, though, so that I can make sure they all tile.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 04:23:33 pm by StarRaven »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:20:03 am
Haha, I feel so weird just now, I usually encourage wordy and pick-apart-y critique, but I feel a pressing need to just give praise for you and your tremendous improvement, especially on the grass tile - it started out as something quite hideous (but with a clear idea and thus potential) and is now something very nice to rest the eyes upon!

Same with the dirt tile - I'll be a bit more constructive here - I can think that making things 'not tile' can be too much of an undertaking sometimes. Tiles tile, that's their nature. Making the tiling into a smooth and even shape is priority, because then it'll be even easier to add break-up tiles that make things look more natural. I think you're doing great with this. So keep it up!
' _ '

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 05:21:09 pm
Oh, fine. Tile nicely. I'm focusing on making sure they tile nicely. XD Semantics! Thank you very much for the compliments, Jad. :lol:

Started on transitions. I was pretty unsure about how to do these...

Offline mattam

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 05:46:12 pm
i think this is a pretty awsome article about tiles and transitions: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3028/tiled_terrain.php?page=1
considering your skill i dont think you're gonna have problems implementing these.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:35:06 pm
Mattam - That looks like it's for texturing polygons for 3d games. I don't think that rotating the tile is very plausible for these kind of tiles, since the view and the light source are not straight-down.