AuthorTopic: Little Fighter Sprite  (Read 13273 times)

Offline fyewit

• View Profile

Re: Little Fighter Sprite

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 07:34:59 am
now ive done a new punch to replace the old one.  it uses less frames then the previous one.

<--------new punch.
  <--------the old one.

I wana do another one for the rear punch and uppercut as well.  having a bit of trouble with the rear punch.  ive done the mannequin but havent put skin on it yet.

for some reason i find that once i put the "skin" over the mannequin it seems to look better/smoother...

anyways,........................    anybody got any crits or comments on these???  feel free too edit as well.

thank you very much.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 08:16:29 am
From a game-play angle, I think you would do well in trying to reduce his build-up frames as much as possible, either just abolish them completely or focus on making them dynamic and contrasting with his fully extended punch.

Place your animation emphasis in the follow-up frames, there's where you can put a lot of smoothness without impacting game-play flow in a negative way. Just a tip! I think you're coming along nicely, although I think you could work even more on making the animation snap, so to say. Let the big movements happen with very few in-betweens. I have a punch animation that might help. Maybe!

http://www.onetwothreefourfivesixdoit.com/archive/bombfolio/Bilder/BrawlerPunchcomboWIP.gif

If you're using internet exploder, it might play as extra slow in mid-punch, that's the opposite of how it's really gonna play; that's internet explorer being weird with too fast frames and playing them slow instead @ _ @;
' _ '

Offline fyewit

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:12 am
cool thanks jad.  that animation helps alot.  so in ur opinion should i delete one or both of the "build up" frames or should i add more "cool down/follow-up" frames?/ or both. and despite the the small-ness of the sprite this technique would work well?  perhaps i should just experiment.  in any case im still waiting on the programmer to get back to me. so ive decided to wait a bit before doing much more and having a break. 
once i hear from the programmer guy ill probably get back into it.

in mean time. VDX suggested a portrait, so i made one up.  just for fun basically,... as i doubt itll be used in game.

i dont like the hair.  edits/crits appreciated. ta.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:00 pm
Build up frames are usually saved for animations that will have that sort of effect on them gameplay wise and in real life.  Swinging a huge sword for example could use build up because it's heavier and will take longer to attack with.  Likewise swinging a knife or punching would be pretty instant.  And if you are going to have cool down frames be sure to allow the player to move before the move fully cools down. (my personal preference)

Although there are exceptions to the rule it all depends on the type of gameplay and the character.  If you have some super powerful anime character using a huge sword then you wouldn't need the build up.  The gist is do what is right for the gameplay.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 09:17:01 pm
If the second punch is always coming after the first (as apposed to being the other punch button) you should start it from the recovery frames on the first punch, and have it interrupt them (preferably interrupt them at a specific frame) otherwise he is going to throw a punch, reposition his body back into his standing stance, then throw another punch, as apposed to punching twice in a row, where the second punch usually starts before you have moved all the way back into stance, or depending on the style, without moving back into stance at all. It also might be kinda neat if you had a version of the recovery frame(s) where he was cambering the second punch that was the start of the second, and interrupted the first animation a little earlier. I dun really know what you are coding/making this in tho, and what kind of limitations it has. If interrupting animations is a no go, I would break the first punch into two animations, one punching and one recovering, and then if the player has hit attack again before the recovery animation started, he throws the second one, otherwise he plays the recovery animation, and cant attack again for a fraction of a second.
Just food for thought, mostly, and not proper critique, but thinking about it that way may help with the second punch animation.

Offline Sleepless

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 09:33:53 pm
If you're using internet exploder, it might play as extra slow in mid-punch, that's the opposite of how it's really gonna play; that's internet explorer being weird with too fast frames and playing them slow instead @ _ @;
@Jad Was Internet "exploder" intentional, because it will explode your computer of slowness. Nice animation, but I would try to refine each frame, with better contrast with colors.
You know what would make life easier? Real-life CTRL+Z

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 15, 2010, 03:09:15 am

i dont like the hair.  edits/crits appreciated. ta.

First person I thought of was Thomas Jefferson. :P
He doesn't look old in the picture though, like something around 25-35.
Not sure what you could change though in the hair, it looks good.