AuthorTopic: GR#031 - Consider The Lilies - Pixel Artwork  (Read 18239 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Consider The Lilies

Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:52:03 am
doublepost with update

edit:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 08:34:06 am by Cure »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 06:27:51 am
any of these skeletons seem to be on the right path? Just trying to figure out the pose right now, not worried about rendering.

By slumped over I meant torso erect but the head is looking down but in a relaxed sort of way. I don't think you're ever going to get a sleeping look with a skeleton, it will always look dead :)

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 07:27:29 am
most of your skeletons still look in prayer. The only way I can think of the skeleton looking like it's sleeping would be to have it assume a more horizontal pose. I 'm finding it hard to imagine it sleeping no matter the position of the hands. Also if that top most bone attached to hte rib cage is the clavicle, that should be meeting up with the scapula above the humerus. It seems a little high up at the moment.

I really like what you've got so far. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 07:13:44 pm

no major structural changes, mostly just cleaning things up and refining the pixel work. the skeleton and crops in the lower right (as well as a few smaller areas) still need a lot of work and are obviously a bit more WIP than the rest.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 10:02:13 pm
Looking at this latest version, I have to retract my earlier crits of the composition.  The additional background element and the shadows really pull the whole thing together.  This is looking really good.

Tourist

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 10:34:10 pm
the whole thing is great so far. the new skeleton pose is better than the last one, but he looks really comfortable, it doesn't really help the symbolism

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2010, 11:23:34 pm
The entire thing is very nice and my favorite part is the crows. I dig the un-saturated look. I second helm's comment about the subject matter.
Edgar Allan Poe would be a better fit in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 11:34:35 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 04:55:31 pm
@Tuna: Well he's meant to be sleeping, so comfortable is more or less what I'm going for. The symbolism doesn't call for anguish or anything. Unless you mean that he looks comfortable in a distinctly non-sleeping way.
@Draco: Not sure what you mean about seconding Helm- that the image is cryptic? The bottom portion is the only part I really feel doesn't communicate the verse immediately, but I can't think of another way to illustrate it that works with the current image. Open to suggestions, but won't be making any major changes. Realistically, the image isn't for didactic purposes so I'm not overly concerned with any ineffective communication. Also, I felt the contrast between a dead guy and food he can't eat would get the point across to an extent, even without knowledge of the  parable behind it.

Thanks for the feedback. Haven't abandoned this, but my art energy is currently being diverted towards a commission and a ceramics class, so I'll resume this project in about a week.

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:35 pm
interesting piece! in regards to some of the imagery discussion earlier, the skeleton was actually a pretty popular image tied to Christianity back in the 'ole days.
It was called a Memento Mori, 'death reminder'- skulls and skeletons were found pretty frequently in churches and paintings as a reminder that everyone is mortal and something to do with the end times etc. 

Offline SuperPander

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 12:03:02 am
This is off topic of pixel art. But i found it cool someone did a painting about that verse about the Lilies. I happened to be inspired to write a poem about that verse before I saw this. Maybe the poem I wrote can inspire your work? I don't know. But very cool art. =)

http://superpanda.blogs.experienceproject.com/367017.html#c