AuthorTopic: [WIP] Isometric Car  (Read 6288 times)

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

[WIP] Isometric Car

on: July 16, 2010, 03:29:41 pm
Hey long time lurker, first time poster. Booyah.

Been working on this the last few hours or so, my first ever car. Had a few problems with and a few more staring at the screen scratching my head moments but I think it is coming along no to bad. This is only my second piece of pixel art, learnt a bajillion from my first one.

Any C&C very welcome, don't worry about being harsh, hit me with it. Got to roll out to work the now for a few hours, so that is why I am uploading this just now, to get some feedback.

Ta Mucho

Oh the little dude is just there for scale, which I may of mucked up, not quite sure yet.

I like turtles.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Isometric Car

Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:05:50 pm
It's nice, i like the simplicity of it, and the angles are great. The wheels are great (iso wheels are always tough for me)

The top of the car looks a little bit too low at the top to be able to fit someone inside of it.

And judging by your palette, you could have used less colors and still retained the same quality.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:14:45 pm
cars can be pretty tricky if youre not really intimate with them imo - though i would say right off the bat the angle of the front windshield looks too wide (it should have a steeper slope), which makes the area between the wheels a bit overstretched, and the cars trunk looks overly pronounced. The pixels themselves look pretty nice so it would be a shame if you didnt go ahead and fill in those areas with proper glass rendering. once you do that it would be good to see you add some of the line work which denotes proper doors on the side as well, otherwise it stands to look flat in comparison to your shaded topside.

that area in the front where it looks like you have lighter pixels which were meant to connect to make a straight line but have been drawn over so that they look more dotted would look much cleaner if they were properly connected or eliminated entirely.

were you using any references?

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:20 pm
Thanks for the comments.

@FRWAG

I'm glad you think the wheels are good, took me ages to get them, really quite difficult, still not really happy with them. As for the palette, I probably could use less colours but then I don't really see the point. Eek, noob alert.

@stOven

Yeah you're absolutely right about the windshield slope. I was thinking about that and staring at that for awhile but couldn't quite figure it out. I was thinking it might have been something to do with the boot, so had been fiddling around with that. Hmm, windshield, definetly going to give that a bash when I get back. Yeah doors are in the pipeline too, just ran out of time and trying to nail the shading down, especially at the far right.

I know what you mean about the lighter pixels on the front, wasn't sure about them, trying to get a slight highlight on it, like the sun just glinting of the bonnet edge. Will just take it out if it looks strange though.

As for a reference. I was was going to do a a Transit Van so used a Transit reference, had really mad trouble with the sloping edges at the front, so after tweaking and tweaking it turned into this little car there. The only other refs I used was a quick google on whether indicator lights where on the left or the right of the main light and looking out my window while having a smoke, I then realised I hadn't put a licence plate in! Ha.

I love pixel art.

Cheers for the comments.

Oh, typing this on my phone so apologies for any spelling errors etc etc
I like turtles.

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:47:55 pm

Hopefully fixed the windshield now, it's looking better, but no too sure.

Changed the colour, blue seemed better and also reduced my palette, although added a bright red for the brake light.

Added doors too, liked how they turned out. Had to look out my window and look at a couple of cars to check the curving though.

Away to start on the glass now, not sure whether to do an interior or not? Suggestions? Never done a car before (its alot harder than you think it is going to be). I'm thinking glass only as maybe an interior would look naff?
I like turtles.

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 07:19:49 pm

Added an interior, not so sure. What do you think?
I like turtles.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:36:04 pm
I think you can reduce the amount of colors in the tires to 3 or 4. Two colors in your palette are almost identical to their neighbors at 1x zoom.

This could also be applied to your blues.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:38:43 pm by Mush »

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 09:06:35 pm
Mush's advice definitely applies. I just have a quick thing to note--I'm definitely not the go-to guy for isometric stuff--but I did notice that the car seemed very narrow. Like two people could not fit side by side inside it.

The result of about 5 minutes of fiddling:

It could probably go even wider and be better.

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:13 pm
@Mush

Hey, yeah you're definetly right. Will sort them greys out and look over the blues!

@Pawige

Hey, making it wider makes such a big difference. I wonder why I never noticed that. I was worried that it didn't look big enough. Nice one.

Also you've made the end/boot so much better. I really like it, am I allowed to use that or not?

Making a car is quite tough, I should of picked something easier for my next project but I've learnt alot from doing it, so I guess that is the point. Will sort this out later on. Cheers chaps.
I like turtles.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 09:31:06 pm
Feel free to use whatever you like from my edit, but I'd just suggest you take a close look at it and try to figure out what works. Main thing for the trunk I did was just change the classic isometric 2 pixel steps to something a bit more organic, to show that it curves up from the rear to the roof of the car, and make the back window peek out just a little. There are probably a lot of other ways you could manage it, but I think the most important thing is to get rid of the boxy-ness of the rear, and pay close attention to the way the line of the back of the roof comes across the car, and how it moves down to connect to the body of the car through the pillars in the back.