AuthorTopic: char & dirt  (Read 4452 times)

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

char & dirt

on: July 13, 2010, 06:50:03 am
I'm trying to get a mockup going, but i've never really done ground tiles before. This is what i have so far:

it tiles pretty decent i think but doesn't look that good overall. Any tips?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:31:12 pm by xbogx »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: dirt

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:01:36 am
First of all, you have to remember that it's dirt, so it's never really going to look "good"  :lol:

Second of all, you might be discontent with the busy-ness (almost typed 'business') of the tile. Look at the tile in terms of noise: is it noisy enough? Too noisy? Look at size of the clusters. Too big? Too small? How about the spacing of the clusters? Too close? Too distant? All I can tell you to do is to just play with it until you find something you like.

Overall I like it, both in terms of texture and palette.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Re: dirt

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 08:29:53 pm
Thanks WM, i've played around as you've suggested but couldn't find anything that i liked a lot more. So i've decided to move to other things and return to the tile when the rest is done.

So this is my char:

Does anything look wrong about him? Should i try to get more details in the face?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: char & dirt

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:14 am
I think the face is sufficiently detailed for the size- any more would be crowding.
great lookin' sprite, very crisp and readable. nothing immediately strikes me as looking "wrong", except perhaps the elbow of the arm with the gun looks a bit round and bendy.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 07:44:11 am
thanks! something like this for the elbow?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 05:32:26 pm
thanks! something like this for the elbow?

Yup
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 06:00:19 pm
What a beautiful sprite! I went through your pixel clusters with a fine-toothed comb. Perhaps you'll find some use in my edit, although it's mostly nitpicks. General pixeller hints, beware of banding, even small amounts of banding, consider what is the optimal shape for any pixel cluster you introduce.

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 08:54:03 pm
What a beautiful sprite! I went through your pixel clusters with a fine-toothed comb. Perhaps you'll find some use in my edit, although it's mostly nitpicks. General pixeller hints, beware of banding, even small amounts of banding, consider what is the optimal shape for any pixel cluster you introduce.

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I especially like what you've done with the chest area and will incorporate most of your tips in the next update