AuthorTopic: [wip] a few characters  (Read 7927 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

[wip] a few characters

on: July 15, 2010, 05:54:30 am

figured i'd wait until i was /almost/ done before i posted these here

//ptoing: let's do the timewarp again!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 12:03:25 pm by ptoing »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] a few characters

Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 09:09:48 pm
The thing that stands out to me the most ( besides no AA ) is the last guy to the right, his becep on his right arm is a lot higher then on the left arm. And his left forearm is a bit strange in some parts, and where his shoulder connects to his bicep... I suggest some reference.

Other then that, their nicely pixeled as usual.

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 09:47:02 pm
Love em, although the second guy (to the left) has the weirdest stance I have ever seen. I tried it out myself to see how it felt and damn is it awkward.

The first character is my favourite; he seems to show a lot of personality through stylistic choice alone, as well as his haircut.

Great job once again!

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:58:41 pm
I love these!

The only advice that I can give right now is to work on the highlights on the kneecaps -- their square shape is very apparent and kinda detracts from the organic feel that you've created. (Also that purple square on the bearded guy's shoe)

Also, AA-ing those outlines will do wonders.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:07:45 pm
The first character seems awkward to me. he had a manly beard, but a highschooler haircut and a shirt that's sorta... effeminate.

I think the second guy could use a bit more bend at the elbows, personally.

The blonde-haired guy is my favorite, looks the most natural, both character- and pose-wise.

Burly black dude looks pretty stiff. Why doesn't his head sit farther up or farther back? The shoulders aligning with the back to form that straight horizontal line also add to the stiffness, maybe drop them a bit so it doesn't look like he's holding a shrug. It also appears his legs are pretty short for such a massive upper body.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:09:27 pm by Cure »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:20:11 pm
i made all these changes before i saw the comments in this thread so im sure i still need to address some(all) of them

e: shading on the big guy is still really wip so
yeah

e2: the big guy's head is so far down because he was supposed to look like he had a hunch, guessing i didn't get that across very well?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:22:52 pm by 1up »

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 01:59:20 am
The hunched look isn't apparent because he has no shading on his body to give the impression he is hunched. Until you've shaded the shirt it won't be noticeable so really nothing really off there.

My biggest gripe is that the big guy doesn't altogether fit in with the others, mainly because of the colour count I found.
Try reducing his skin down from 5 colours to 3 to fit in with the others. to me it fit in much better. Also giving the (our) left arm more shadow like the 3rd guys leg to give it that impression of being slightly further back will also make him more matching to the rest of your characters. I get the feeling this guy is a bad guy?

The lack f a nose for the second guy irks me. in the other three the nose is apparent his however isn't there.

just my ten cents.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 03:09:23 am
i'm kind of iffy on removing the 4th shade, mostly because the reason it was added in the first place was because he's so much bigger than the other characters and i felt it worked better with another shade but i guess I can still try

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 04:46:59 am
really quick edit, minor for all but the hulk.

right now hulk looks like he's really apprehensive and has no neck. perhaps this is not as hunched as you were going for but maybe you see which features i changed. dropped the shoulders, elongated the legs quite a bit, brought the head up and out a little, it should now be more evident where his neck region is and how his head relates to his spine. widened the feet to give him a broader base. tried to push back the far arm as it feels like we're seeing way too much of it for this angle.
for the first dude i just dropped the shoulders to give him a more chillaxed vibe and tried to scruff him up a bit. the character still seems an anomaly to me, since beards usually signify "i don't give a fuck" and a more natural, honest vibe whereas the character looks like a hipster (are those shudda shades?) who really cares about how he comes off. but maybe this is intentional, and maybe i'm just misinterpreting the character.

also i dunno if that second guy's holding a remote or a sideways gun but i can't tell what that hand is up to.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 04:48:39 am by Cure »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:48:03 pm
Hey, digging the designs on all these characters.
They've all got some nice emotion to them.

Touched up a few things for you here, the sun glasses, and the seconds guys hand.
Heh just noticed I worked off of cures edit.

I assumed he was holding a gun, but I could be wrong.