AuthorTopic: NES Mock Up  (Read 27755 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: NES Mock Up

Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:09 pm
Have you considered swapping the old man out for an old woman and giving her a handbag to swing at enemies. There's nothing to keep him standing if he lifts his cane and it's not going to work very well as an attack while moving either.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:23 pm
Also, your aniamtion lacks weight. It doesn't feel like the walking cane is really being used to prop up the weight of your character.  
There's nothing to keep him standing if he lifts his cane and it's not going to work very well as an attack while moving either.

It could be that he isn't really using the cane to walk with, but rather just taking it with him to use as a weapon?

For some reason, I don't really like the arm swinging beside him in the walking animation. Also, he looks a bit like he's wearing war paint, hehe.

Your background is beautiful. ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:32:07 pm by StarRaven »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:33:33 pm
I agree, it looks like he's carrying the cane for show instead of for support. Also, when he attacks, it looks like he's stabbing. Maybe it would look better if you had him more like swinging the cane like a blunt weapon?

Offline Medevenx

• View Profile
    • Burke-Works

Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 02:03:05 am
I feel like the actual playing part of the screen is too small. :(

Offline VDX

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 03:15:44 am
The right leg when it's forward in the walking animation with arms looks like he misplaced his hip. =/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 03:17:22 am by VDX »

Offline Phlox

• huh??? what???
    • View Profile
    • Can Games

Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 02:25:05 pm
I like this mockup. it's coming along well. However, there's one thing that bothers me which is that you have the same amount of empty, black, unused space as you do playing space up above.  It just seems like there is a lot of wasted space to me. Concerning the attack animation i think an up swinging animation would fit this character better since his weapon is starting at the ground.  This would also give it more power than just a poke and allow for combos possibly.

Offline sorex

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 04:22:32 pm
Great background!

Reminds me of Pitfall in some way.

BUT

When I zoomed into the picture I noticed that you didn't keep the limitations in mind that NES has.

Some parts use 5 or 6 colors in a 8x8 block/char/tile which is impossible.

Even 4 colors is hard to use as you always lose one for the general background in all 4 sub pallets.

I guess that the goodlooking  rocks at the buttom eat too much tiles aswell, keep in mind that there is a limit of 256 different tiles that can be displayed at once,
it doesn't have any "bitmap" modes like the C64 has so you're stuck with that limit.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 08:54:03 pm
@Medevenx & Phlox: I was planning on doing something like this:

I will probably change the default attack to a slash.

@sorex: Quote from my first post:

I made a mock up with the NES palette and tried to limit each entity to 3 colors + transparency (I didn't bother to restrict myself to 8x8 tiles, though).

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2010, 04:14:10 am
Some 'animals'

(just noticed the badger is missing a leg)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #29 on: August 27, 2010, 09:07:10 am
I will probably change the default attack to a slash.

Or a swing.

You may want to give a look back at Duck Tales on the good'ole'gameboy for inspiration on slash & jump with the help of a cane while keeping an old-dude look.