AuthorTopic: NES Mock Up  (Read 27758 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Re: NES Mock Up

Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 11:04:03 am
I would love to see this in a game with a parallax effect, i.e. the nearest trees scrolling slower than the far ones.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 05:44:58 pm
The detailing on those bushes combined with the high sat color really is bringing them forwards and losing a lot of background depth, the same should be said for losing the periwinkle color.  Simpler forms and that one extra layer will help bring back a lot of that depth and abience that you had to start.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 06:21:35 pm
Not sure if anyone else agrees with me, but the green background was a brazillion times better than the blue in my opinion. With the blue\purple background the closer tree really stands out uncomfortably, and it loses a lot of the verdant forest look. It's also way too saturated to look foggy, so it just kind of looks like a forest with blue trees. The blue really loses a lot of the depth and uniformity that the original had. I dislike giving conflicting critiques but I couldn't keep my mouth shut about this one, as I really liked where the first two were going.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 08:20:31 pm
I actually agree with you Pawige.

I lowered the height of the closest bushes and added the farthest trees.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 08:57:01 pm
Mmmm, lovin' it! :y: One thing I'd suggest is make the background trees a bit more slanty and randomly placed, like the main tree in the middle, at the moment they are all very much up and down and regularly spaced. Also, I just grabbed the pic and changed the brown bushes to black, but I'm not sure which I like better. It has an interested effect, I'd suggest you give it a shot and see what you think.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 11:21:58 pm
was thinking something more like

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 12:03:00 am
Thanks for the edit Helm. The colors do look a lot better, but they are not part of NES palette. And I see what you mean about the back layer of trees.

I'll post an update after the weekend.

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:32:32 am
Finally got some free time.

WIP animations:

« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 05:39:34 am by Mush »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 08:17:04 am
Thanks for the edit Helm. The colors do look a lot better, but they are not part of NES palette ...
There was an interesting topic once on differences in the nes palette between NTSC/PAL versions of games. I think the example used was blaster master. Sadly I cna't find it. There's also a neat little page here about the differences in display from using different kinds of cables to connect the old consoles to your TV.
http://www.disgruntleddesigner.com/chrisc/gotRGB/screenshots.html

Just mentioning these two things, because you could be appealing to something that may just be arbitrarily chosen colours that seem to resemble what one person thinks is the NES palette.

Also, your aniamtion lacks weight. It doesn't feel like the walking cane is really being used to prop up the weight of your character. 

Offline Mush

• View Profile
    • MushSauce

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 05:53:42 am
I started an attack animation. Not very happy with it though...