AuthorTopic: RPG cave tiles, nes pallete  (Read 6601 times)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

RPG cave tiles, nes pallete

on: July 13, 2010, 12:46:47 pm
SO Ive been having some trouble with these cave tiles using nes pallete.  Im using up to 4 colors per tile, Im still not sure about the colors.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: RPG cave tiles, nes pallete

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 03:05:25 am
just trying out different ways of doing the rocks

walls changed, though theres some tiling issues.  And darkest color from the non-shadow ground tile removed to try to make it a little less busy.  Still need to fix the border thing around the ceiling among other things.  Also having some trouble getting the area where the wall meets the floor to look good.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:07:22 am by r1k »

Offline Infinite Segment

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 07:30:18 pm
The thing that's really bothering me (and I'm sorry I can't provide better C&C, as you can see I'm a newb :) ) is the grey color you use in the shaded floor tiles (3rd from the left, 2nd from the top in the original post), the grey is more eye-catching (and I think brighter) than the brown that it is supposed to shade.
^
||
NOOB

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 02:30:38 am
hmm the grey seems darker to me but maybe its my/your monitor thats the problem.  In any case I tried switching the grey and brown around

so I tried switching the grey and brown in the shadowed ground tile.  Currently the shadowed grounds on the left side of the image are the new switched around way and the ones on the righter side of the image have it the old way, though the old way is different now too because I noticed the shadow part was slightly different than the non shadow part.

Also tried using yellow instead of gray as the lightest shade on the walls just to see how that looked.

Changed the border around the ceilings.  I think its more interesting now but needs a little word still.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 04:26:09 am
Wow, even your palette is textured.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:17:39 pm
the stuff on the pallete is just cause I resized this pallete to fit better
http://ramsites.net/~alticend/color%20studies/NES_palette.png
but Im guessing that was an indirect way of saying I have too much texture?

I tried making the ground tile have no texture, though I think the ground is too plain that way.  I can see about a more subtle texture, but I havent had any success with that yet.  Also tried making the ground shadows only on the side, smaller, and all black, in addition to various small changes.

edit: heres a quick minimal ground texture.  needs work but just an idea.  Or maybe take what I had before but use the dark gray instead of the light gray, since the dark gray and brown are almost the same value it decreases the contrast of the tile.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:49:21 pm by r1k »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 01:58:35 pm
Hehe, well yes, I would consider your tiles a little too noisy. Simplify simplify simplify.

I think you've improved your ground tiles.

I question the light oultine atop the walls dividing them from the surrounding darkness.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 02:06:14 pm
ya I was just looking at that too, Ill try darkening them later on.  DO you have any prefference as to which of the ground tiles are better though?  Of the 2 on the bottom image, I kind of like the right one better, but on the other hand the left one is warmer and more simplified, so Im having trouble deciding.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 15, 2010, 08:37:15 pm
You could try plain tiles, and then sparsely add noisy tiles. Like, keep it plain, and just add a few rocks and stuff to it.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 03:23:30 am
okay heres a new version