AuthorTopic: Fighter  (Read 14760 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Fighter

on: April 02, 2006, 01:02:19 am
Well, I saw a buncha fighter sprites poppin' up 'round here, so I decided to give one a go.

I was really unhappy with the way my KOS sprite turned out. This one, I think, is more classically styled. This is for nothing in particular. I won't be making a portrait or anything. It's just a fighter.

What I really need help with is the missing leg. I'm stumped on how it should be positioned. Is the crotch too wide? I wanted him to have a wide, "ready" stance, and would loathe redoing the already done leg, since it was a pain to get to this point and I really like how everything else turned out.

Oh, and do you's think his shirt is too wrinkly?

C&C much appreciated.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Fighter

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 01:15:41 am
I love the jeans....and...that's it. man, I wish I still cared as much as before

keep it up

Offline Stitchy

• A ghost wandering the shore
    • View Profile
    • That one place everyone hates.

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 02:07:15 am
The jeans really are eye-cathing. ;) And I think the shirt is just the right amount of wrinkly. xD Though, I think his neck is a little bit too thick around his chin. Other than that, it's coming along fantastically.
Be it, so be quick
Don’t run, just walk and walk and walk
Don’t lose yourself, to decorate
Somewhere on your wall 'Cause somewhere in your mind You know you are doing fine Holding secret hair locks You’ll pluck before you hide

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 05:17:31 am
God damn! I'm really loving the palette, and the design. The shirt might be too wrinkly as far as realism's concerned but I think it looks great here.
As for the leg, I think maybe something like this, only done, y'know... good:

I think the skull face gave him more character, but It could just be me. Lookin forward to seeing it finished. ;)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 05:19:08 am
I think more and darker cast shadows would really help to make this guy pop, especially around the face and hood.

The shape of the head seems a bit odd under the hood, a little too much of a dip before the front edge.

The far hand is pretty well done, but the close hand looks a bit weak.

About the shirt, it's is a bit more wrinkly than I prefer, but that's a personal thing more than an actual problem. Perhaps, however, you should lighten up the bottom of the shirt a bit, it looks a bit odd without any highlights down there, especially considering his posture. Maybe some little strings or a pocket on the hoodie would break up all the wrinkles a bit.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 07:31:48 am
ithink if you gave the other leg better angles it would be easier to match the pose.

the blade there at themoment. the front should be pointing at us.. not a side on angle.

for the other egg youcouldhave it bending out if youunderstand that.
Nixel Art

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:36:12 pm
I think your colour theory knowledge has really gone up a level lately. This is very good. You've been pixelling for quite a while now, as I remember. Good to see it pay off for you. Finish this sprite, it's very close to being done, and then there'll be stance critique and the like.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 02:05:27 pm
How about ?

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 06:33:11 pm
Camus/Stitchy/Helm: Thanks! I'll see about that neck.

Tremulant: Thanks for the edit. Yeah, that's about what I was going for, but with both legs bent like that, it looks odd...Perhaps off-balance or something?

Pawgie:Whaddaya mean by
The shape of the head seems a bit odd under the hood, a little too much of a dip before the front edge.
?
Could you elaborate on the hand?
I had tried the strings before, but they just got in the way, so I tried the hoodie pocket. Better or worse?

Nix: I think I see what you're saying, but not really. Could you give an example?

Turbo: Yeah, I was looking for something in between yours and Tremulant's.

I think I found a leg that I like.

C&C?

Offline Nix

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 06:58:28 pm

that whatimeant about the first leg.. ignore the bit about the secondleg.

another idea.. if you want him to be a fighter.. he would need a posethatlook like hes red to open a can of whoopass. so i was thinking he could be on the rubber bit at the front of blades.. like tip toe.
Nixel Art

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 08:53:18 pm
Here's a quick edit to show what I meant about the hand and hood:

I also twiddled with the forehead, hood, other hand and the pocket a bit.

That new leg fits quite well, I'd try pulling the hips together a bit though, see if it improves anything.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 04:27:05 am by Pawige »

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:22:23 pm
I so wish the palletes on his skin and hoodie were as interesting as his jeans; I think thats why that part is standing out/being praised so much. You need some less subtle hue shifts for the rest of the body.

Also, it looks like he has manboobs. :)

Nice job.
@darionmccoy

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: April 03, 2006, 03:57:41 am
Ah, thanks pawgie.
The hands were a leftover from the skeleton design, and I thought it'd be pretty cool for him to keep the skelehands. I dunno if I succeeded or if I should just make 'em like normal hands.

Pointed out a few things I [intend/need] to fix

Darion: Thanks much. I tried fixin' up teh pallette on teh shirt(s).

Nix: Ah, I see what you meant now. I wanted to give him a more ready to move stance befitting of the skates, which would be different from the ready stance of normal shoes, which seems to be what you were going for. Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 03, 2006, 04:12:21 pm
WOW looking great, I haven't seen your work in a minute and it blew my mind! One thing I could crit would be his fist energy glow... it looked to me like brass knuckles at first, but one seemed to be around his wrist, also for my own work, I like to make sure the whole pose is working, rather than adding elements like a leg after....

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 03:14:36 am
Nix: Ah, I see what you meant now. I wanted to give him a more ready to move stance befitting of the skates, which would be different from the ready stance of normal shoes, which seems to be what you were going for. Thanks anyway for the clarification.

Nix edit really gives balance to your fighter, if not, you really need to change the position of his right leg, because it looks really out of place, the color palette is really good but perhaps the folds are overdone on the jeans, perhaps you can reduce them and make him look even cooler :)

You have improved a lot, man.  ;)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 01:50:16 am
WOW looking great, I haven't seen your work in a minute and it blew my mind! One thing I could crit would be his fist energy glow... it looked to me like brass knuckles at first, but one seemed to be around his wrist, also for my own work, I like to make sure the whole pose is working, rather than adding elements like a leg after....
Thanks alot, man. I decided to drop the skeleton/glowy hand thing in favor of a spraycan. I'm not sure I'm all that pleased with it, though...

Nix edit really gives balance to your fighter, if not, you really need to change the position of his right leg, because it looks really out of place, the color palette is really good but perhaps the folds are overdone on the jeans, perhaps you can reduce them and make him look even cooler :)

You have improved a lot, man.  ;)
Alright, I see it now...Man, it's real nice to have other people's eyes to look at stuff. Thanks. I tried a little balance...I think I need to work on the bottom of the pant leg, just above the [cuff?] a bit more...
Thanks alot for all the help. I love seeing progress, especially when it's in my own works.

C&C please.

Edit: dang! I just noticed he's missing a knee. It's...bendy. We can't have that, now can we?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 01:52:10 am by Xion Night »

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 02:22:22 am
Thigh muscle loss?  ;)
Yeah, besides the above mentioned, that... vial... thing in his left hand doesn't seem to belong, and if you're gonna put something over his mouth, I'd personally go with a color you've already used (you know, unification, color redux, etc.).

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:09:13 am
Hmm, i think all the spraycan needs is perhaps a darker outline, seeing as there isnt much that has such a light outline anywhere else. ^_^ I much prefer the spraycan idea to the glowing hands, although they were pretty neat in their own right.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 07:26:45 pm
Is that a bandana or a mask? If it's a bandana, i think it should cover more of his cheeks, and it could be longer. When I wear one, I end up having to tuck it into my shirt or coat and it reaches just under my collar bone.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 08:36:40 pm
couldnt help it.

just because i find your works to all have similar colours and taste so i thought i would change that slightly, thats about all.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:02:46 pm by Alex »
alexander

Offline Nix

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 07:38:45 am
i just realised he barely has a crotch.
Nixel Art

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 09:17:57 pm
Very sexy palette xion. I like your design, but I believe his folds need more work, they seem small and crumply like paper (as you pointed out it seems). Also (perhaps its just the style) your sprite seems somewhat 'hard' it might have something to do with the high contrast folds but I could be wrong. Anyways great job thusfar, keep going!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 11:11:18 pm
Thigh muscle loss?   ;)
Yeah, besides the above mentioned, that... vial... thing in his left hand doesn't seem to belong, and if you're gonna put something over his mouth, I'd personally go with a color you've already used (you know, unification, color redux, etc.).
Vandals don't match. :P No, I really got tired of those colors.
Hmm, i think all the spraycan needs is perhaps a darker outline, seeing as there isnt much that has such a light outline anywhere else. ^_^ I much prefer the spraycan idea to the glowing hands, although they were pretty neat in their own right.
Yeah, I noticed that just ater posting it. Thanks.
Is that a bandana or a mask? If it's a bandana, i think it should cover more of his cheeks, and it could be longer. When I wear one, I end up having to tuck it into my shirt or coat and it reaches just under my collar bone.
Yeah, it's supposed to be a bandana. His mouth was bugging me. I tried fixing it like you suggested, but I'm not entirely sure of how I did.
couldnt help it.

just because i find your works to all have similar colours and taste so i thought i would change that slightly, thats about all.
Woo! nice edit. I like those green pants. I'll czech out what you did and see if I can do better on my next piece. I did notice that I don't use browns much...
i just realised he barely has a crotch.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll try to fix it.
Very sexy palette xion. I like your design, but I believe his folds need more work, they seem small and crumply like paper (as you pointed out it seems). Also (perhaps its just the style) your sprite seems somewhat 'hard' it might have something to do with the high contrast folds but I could be wrong. Anyways great job thusfar, keep going!
Thanks. I like the 'hard' style...it makes it look depthy, to me.

Thanks for all the replies, guys/gals[?].

Other things I changed:
The hood's been widened a bit...not sure I like it.
The pants' wrinkles...again, I'm unsure.
Eyes' brow...Ditto.
The hoodie's right sleeve...I think it's an improvement.
...And some other minor things not really woth mentioning.
C&C.

Again, thanks.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 11:20:12 pm
Make his legs thicker at the top or pull the hips together.  That large space is unnatural looking and ruins it for me. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 11:22:13 pm
Very well, then.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 01:21:15 am
The bandana looks a lot better.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 10:15:29 am
the thing that bothers me the most is the cuffs at the bottom of the pants. they both look too similar, and too perfectly rounded compared to the roughness of the pants. I'd say they look more like ankle cuffs than pants =p The folds on the pants are defenitely looking better though, and I really like the idea =]

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 05:59:32 pm
I'm pretty happy with it now.

Unless anyone's got any more crits, I think I'll call it done.
Thanks for all the C&C.

[=_=] *Zzzzzz

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 09:04:49 pm

and blue pants:

i still love it, but i felt like making another pallette for ya.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2006, 09:06:24 pm by Alex »
alexander

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #29 on: April 09, 2006, 02:11:28 am
I liked your other palette edit better - the first one. Still, out of the new ones I'd say I prefer the one with green/brown pants. Cool, though.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 03:05:41 am
I liked the weird bendy leg, I thougt it was unique looking, IMO the other shorter leg should've been adapted to be more like the bendy one.