AuthorTopic: Animation and design.  (Read 2474 times)

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Animation and design.

on: July 13, 2010, 07:08:46 am
Hey guys.

Past couple of days, I've been working on some animations. And like always, I start with a simple, flat color base. I've made three animations like this before, and they always felt too...."fat". Their limbs were comically oversized. So this time, I tried with a more simple anatomical proportions. Made running, jumping, and crouching, so far.

Here's those.

Thought it animated smoothly, so I went to try detailing the character. Here....is why I wanted to post. I'm totally stuck. He looks ugly with an outline, he looks ugly without....he just looks weird. This is the best I came up with....but it's so strange.

I'm stuck. Can you guys give me advice?

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Animation and design.

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:29:54 am

I edited your guy a little around the shoulder to make it more readable, replaced the black with a nice dark desaturated purple, darkened the skin shadow, and played with a few pixels. I couldn't get the outline to work, but you're definitely going to need one.

EDIT: Worked on the arms a little more.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:39:32 am by WM »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: Animation and design.

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 06:24:02 pm
Man, this is crazy....

I tried to play with it some more. I think his clothes look fine, but his skin still looks crap.

Tried this too..

I don't know, maybe it's just the base itself. Maybe it's too skinny or something.

EDIT:
OK, I tried something new. Bandanna animates, added two colors to the skin. It looks better, but I think something's still missing.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:48:01 am by buddy90 »