AuthorTopic: Adventure - Jungle Background  (Read 15492 times)

Offline kaio

• View Profile

Adventure - Jungle Background

on: July 07, 2010, 03:14:52 pm
Hey guys!

I'm making this point and click adventure and finished a few backgrounds. They are not really pixel art, so I'm posting it here. I'd like to get some overall criticism...regarding style, composition, colours...everything :).

Thanks you!

cheers

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Adventure - Jungle Background

Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:27:36 am
I feel that the man does not stand out enough to be recognizable as a separate object from the environment, and that the foreground environment and the background environment do not stand apart enough.

Try lightening the background palette and making the colors more flat, and experiment with line weight on the character outline, along with saturation and value in his palette, to set him apart.

Looking at what you've done so far, I'm loving it! It really sets the mood and shows proper stylization. :y:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:29:16 am by WM »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:59:36 am
Sorry not to add any valuable critique towards the art but I think this shouldn't be posted in Low Spec.

However, it looks cool.   :y: ::)

I... am not.  I will now proceed to shut the fruck up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:26:27 am by Shrike »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:46:55 am
I ... am a moderator.

and I think that this with its harsh resolution qualifies well for the low-spec art forum.

: D
' _ '

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:10:47 pm
It seems that during the animation there are colors that change on the tree on the left, the head on the right, and the leaves on the right.  Possibly some sort of artifacting or it's caused because you made a gif with images with more than 256 colors.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 03:18:59 pm
I think if there was some definition on the sides of the planks which make up the bridge, you'd get a better feeling for how solid they are. At the moment they look pretty flimsy, like paper.

I absolutely ADORE the waterfall, it's amazing. I'm kind of sad that the rest of it seems a bit dirty from the lines. Not sure how to explain it very well.. Oh wait no I do. The black lines everywhere combined with the low contrast coloring make the actual forms of everything dwarfed and underplayed. Those lines are your friends! but they're taking advantage of ya right now. Tell em to back off, start adding some color to them to put them in their place. They're great for establishing visual priority, but its like a where's waldo page fulla waldos. Also, the rocks are a bit light and contrasty? rocks look much better in my opinion when their lightest is a noticeably muted gray. hey I'll try an edit

Alright an hour of fiddling later : D  well my edit didn't go as far as I'd intended, I brought it back closer to home to keep your nice aesthetic

First I tried to make everything pop more, break free from those lines, but keep em where they were good. Mainly on borders you want to push out from the lines because there were a lot of places where a single line masked the interesting contour of the trees and stuff. So push out there! and on the insides of object, lighten up the lines, color them, because otherwise they break up the continuity of whatever they're on. The hatching in places is kinda messy. Like WM said - more flats! flats are delicious and pleasant to look at. Then when I was done with that I noticed it looked completely way too saturated. Like it was a different time of day, but its in the forest, so I brought it back down to the same kind of dimness of the original.... but it kind of killed the rock entrance

here's an animation but gif sucks for 32bit color edits

I hope you can pull at least something out of this critique, haha. I like this! I want to see more screens.  ;D

EDIT:HOLY SHIT ITS A FACE !
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 03:27:10 pm by Atnas »

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:18 pm
EDIT:HOLY SHIT ITS A FACE !
now I can't unsee!

I'm not sure I like the angle of the bridge btw, it might look better if it showed less of the top.

Offline kaio

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 08:35:14 am
 ;D Wowza, thanks for all the advices, especially to you, Atnas! And sorry, I was a bit busy the last few days. I'll try to take some of it and post an edit here, later.

I like this! I want to see more screens.  ;D

:) Here you go:

It's not 100% finished, as I need to match it to the jungles style a bit more.

Cheers!

Offline xbogx

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:56 am
looks nice, but some of the lines are kinda thick and fuzzy, maybe it would come out better if you would draw on a larger piece of paper

Offline kaio

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:09:49 am
Yeah, that's because some elements are still in a sketchy phase, like the objects in front of the statue or the stones in the foreground. This is something I will change.  ;)