AuthorTopic: GR#042 - Green Forest - Mockup  (Read 23057 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

GR#042 - Green Forest - Mockup

on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:50 am
I've been dabbling with this as of late.  Feel free to C+C along the way.

Current:

Progress:

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:09:07 am by Indigo »

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Re: really green forest mockup

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:12:52 am
Looks delicious. Reminds me of Scot C's stuff.*

However, I'm almost afriad to ask what this is. Is this a platformer mockup? Or is it an Rpg battle background? If it is a platformer, I can't distinguish where the player is supposed to stand. I like the trunks. Though are you going to twist them? Might make them more interesting. But your background behind the initial trees seem a bit plain. Sure you've got at least two layers of trees back there.  But most forests, unless your on the edge of one, the trees go on forever.

And please excuse if this crit seems quite useless. My eyes may be fogged by the drool dripping from my mouth and hitting my laptop and it steaming up. It's, just, so, pretty.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 06:10:34 pm by xhunterko »

Offline Yami

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:28:42 am
I wish I could make a simplistic background like the 4th picture for my game. I have a thread where I'm trying to find a style to match mine.

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10574.0

How much more do you plan on rendering by the way?

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:04:49 am
Do you mind embedding the images, makes it much easier to view.

Offline Jon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 02:13:09 pm
Hi, do you do this with a tablet or just with your mouse? I am thinking about trying pixelling with a tablet.

Btw, great work so far.  :y:

Offline Shikola

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 04:28:33 pm
It bothers me a bit that the middle tree is textured, but the others aren't nearly as much. Sure, they might be in different perspectives, but I don't thing the left three should look that flat. :u

Offline kamol

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:39 pm
It bothers me a bit that the middle tree is textured, but the others aren't nearly as much. Sure, they might be in different perspectives, but I don't thing the left three should look that flat. :u

I guess that tree is still in progress, isn't it?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 04:42:23 pm
I imagine that's merely the work-in-process, for the reasoning of the other trees not being textured.

The biggest concern I have with this piece is the background, as right now it confuses me. I can see you're going for a sort of backlit scene, but I think my problem has mostly to do with the placement and current shading of the background trees. You have quite a few trees in the "middle" and only one tree in the farthest. Along with that, it seems like you're placing the lightsource of the middle trees from behind, so giving them a sort of aura, and I think this adds to my confusion. Because of the furthest tree being the same shade as the light on the middle trees, it looks like each tree has an immediate tree behind it. Not to mention I'd imagine a backlit scene ending up with silhouettes instead?

I think I may have to wait to see what you pull off with it before I jump to conclusions, but right now it leaves me a little lost. There are also other things that come to mind with the above, and that's mainly the lightsource. The backlit scene would be contradictory(and I guess counterproductive) to the lightsource you have going on in the foreground. However, it's easy to dismiss such things because of priorities.

Right now I like how the background is giving me the vibe of something misty/enchanted instead of the typical atmosphere you'd find in an in-game forest.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 06:14:03 pm
*Scratch that, wrong artist.

I meant Goro Fujita. But still, one other thing is that I don't recall the sky changing color while being in a forest. But that's probably just a nitpick.

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:26:04 pm
I love it so far  ;D
I whip my hair back n forth