AuthorTopic: Dithered ugly mess aka ME  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Dithered ugly mess aka ME

on: July 06, 2010, 02:06:24 am
So for the past week or so I've been attempting to put myself into pixels. It's made for going on a white background and because I like to see pixels in my pixel art (an odd and retarded fascination of mine) I tried to do this in a very dithered style. I also did my first attempt at AA with the merging into white.

Not sure how well it turned out but so far I am very proud of it. Even if others think it's a dithered mess.

I did have some trouble with the shirt but I'm pretty pleased with the rest.

Reference:

All C&C welcome!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Dithered ugly mess aka ME

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:32 am
Accurate, but it looks like you just shrunk the image down and pixeled over it, or at least traced it. I don't have a problem with that per-say, but the result doesn't look as good as if you were to interpret the image in the best way possible.

For instance on the face, even though you could argue it's an accurate resizing of the picture, it lacks the definition which a resourceful artist could give it and still maintain the same likeness.

As for the dithering it maybe a bit overkill for the size your working with. A little here and there would be OK, but so much at that size crowds out the detail.

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Re: Dithered ugly mess aka ME

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 12:51:31 pm
Ha ha yes I did trace the outside however all features and that i did via looking at the reference and trying to place each pixel as accurately as possible.
As for the dithering I noticed I went a touch overboard but when I did the arms like that I thought it looked good then no-matte how I did the shirt it looked out of place unless I dithered to crazy. So I tried to maintain the same level of dither while keeping looking like a shirt. I honestly think I failed there.

Also I haven't actually finished the face, you may notice the gaping holes where eyes should be. I'm trying to work out what to do there but everything I try just screws the whole image up.
I think I need a lot of work on controlling my excessive dithering. You said it crowds out the detail, does that cause readability issues at all?

Oh and if it helps people commenting I was attempting to make it as realistic looking as possible. I got inspiration from how some Mangas are drawn where limbs stick out of the boxes scene frame thing.

Oh and I just noticed the left chest sticks out a bit far.