AuthorTopic: [WIP] Feedback needed on these portraits  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Hayo

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

[WIP] Feedback needed on these portraits

on: July 05, 2010, 12:36:48 pm
Hello folks,

I just got back to some pixel practice, I'd like to get some feedback on these:

Offline Yami

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Feedback needed on these portraits

Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:54:39 am
I like the palette as usual. Here's some changes I made.

Since the eyes were completely black it almost made them look like they were possessed. So on the top one I just lightened up the eyes and lips. Then I made a couple changes to the eyebrow and the shadowing of the chin. For the second guy, I lightened up the eyes and eyebrow. Then did some minor changes to the lips and chin.  :)

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:29 am
A big chunk of the skull is missing on the profile view, makes him look deflated.

Offline Hayo

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 01:53:14 pm
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Offline Hayo

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:42 pm
Think I'll go with this for the first guy:

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 09:14:12 pm
portraits look good at a glance. For your latest rendition - that magenta shadow value is way oversaturated. your midtones should be your most saturated values when youre going for realism with skin tones, yeah? The high hairline does a good job of aging the face to make it look old, but i think that you didnt give him enough volume on the back of the skull? it might be enough but youve given him so much neck that its a bit hard to tell. Theres too much volume on the back wher ethe shirt starts, it looks like a big lump attached to him. if its big traps youre going for your going to have to taper that curve along with the back of the neck line to create that look. The tendons in the neck should attach behind the ear. i realize thats probably the esophagus youre carving out with that oversaturated magenta value, but it looks wrong to me, as i think the tendons would have a stronger cut (which is not illustrated) over the esophagus in profile. The fact that the chin doesnt form a more uniform curve as it meets the throat is driving me crazy for some reason ^_^. Last bit of comment is that the middle hair value you are using, which looks more like a straw color, does not AA well into the skin at all, so i wouldnt bother trying, at least not at the hairline. i think maybe that highlight hitting the cheek is just a tad broad but that might be nitpicking hah.

imo its almost there! its a good improvement in certain areas over the initial rendering :)

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:46 pm
You don't have to post something at x4 the size we can just click on it to zoom in if we want.

I traced over to show about where I think the eyes, ears, nose and mouth should be ( in green ) and how the shape of the skull should look.

The ear is way too far back and too small.

The eye pupil doesn't quite work, it needs some refinement, although it's hard to do with that limited space. Right now it looks like he's bug-eyed or on drugs.

The black around the mouth is confusing, why so dark there when under the chin is not that dark?

There is a purple line running down the neck that I don't understand why it's there.

The yellow on the front of the face and forehead makes it look like he's staring into headlights at night or something. You need to tone that down a bit, unless that's what you want.

The collar is confusing because of the lighting, the highlight's coming from the back when it's coming from the top-front everywhere else. Also the shape of the collar doesn't really have any indication it's clothing, no folds and it's laying kinda strange.

The shadow under the chin and behind the hair is too dark, it draws the attention to those spots too much and doesn't look natural.

After having said all that, the face does have some nice character to it, I think if you fix those points above and maybe find some good reference this could look pretty cool.

Offline Hayo

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:48:59 pm
I really appreciate the detailed comments dudes, I'll get to work with it right away. I will have to ignore some of the feedback on the shape of his head and such for this one as it is supposed to be Stephen Stills, who actually looks kind of funny and wide-eyed. I posted a zoomed image because my browser blurs the heck out of it when clicking on it, but I see there already has been some discussion about that  :)

Again, thanks a lot for the feedback.