AuthorTopic: Top-Down Mockup  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Top-Down Mockup

on: July 05, 2010, 05:43:22 am
Decided to do something I've never done before; a mockup. I didn't stray too far out of my comfort zone, though, as I'm making a top-down retro-styled game using Arne's 16-color palette.

Here's the basic spritesheet thus far.

And here's a test with a background idea.

Any C&C would be appreciated muchly. I'll update it every now and then with more stuff. General mockup tips are also a necessity, since I'm not entirely sure of what I'm doing :/
Thanks!

"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline ArcherofLight

• Hi! I'm Archer, a.k.a. Kyre.
    • View Profile

Re: Top-Down Mockup

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:50:06 am
Very nice mister Olothontor, can I request an animation of the ship shooting?

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 02:08:49 am
Hi Olothntor,

These look nice on the black background sprite sheet, but they get muddy in the background. For the ships, you might try to simplify, and add more patches of solid color with less dithering. At those small sizes all the pixel activity reduces clarity.

What are you going for in the background? Right now it looks kind of just like "stuff".

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 02:48:52 pm
That's part of my problem at the moment; I'm trying to give the background some purpose (as well as make it a little less busy, right now I feel like it's too distracting).

Any ideas how I could optimize that?

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:42:18 pm
Making the ships stand out with a black outline could help the busyness. Also, just turning the black into the brown color automatically gives the background a little more context. Context is probably a good thing to think about. Are you on land or sea or in space or in some hi-tech tunnel thing etc...

Here's a little edit I made.

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 02:33:24 pm
That's not a bad plan, but my original concept for the background was more based around a simplified version of pretty much any of the mechanical DoDonPachi backgrounds.

Here's a bit of an update. I made an attempt at increasing the amount of uninterrupted colors on the ships, but they just ended up looking... odd. Made a new coin animation as well.

EDIT: ... And I'm legitimately embarrassed by my attempt at rock formations  :'(

EDIT 2: In the first image there's now an experimental HUD setup.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:45:36 pm by Olothontor »