AuthorTopic: Lost Planet 2 Ex-NEVEC Soldier  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Lost Planet 2 Ex-NEVEC Soldier

on: July 03, 2010, 10:44:19 am

Futuristic masculiney-type armour has always been my weakness...
I'm hoping to improve this...he looks kinda puny and I want him to look more badass without looking bulky... (º_º)

Con crit are greatly appreciated...I need to learn how to do this!

Thank youuu ♥ :3

Offline Deidara

• View Profile

Re: Lost Planet 2 Ex-NEVEC Soldier

Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 05:11:38 pm
This is a pretty nifty design.

I would advise using video game space marines as reference. The gears of war kind may be bulky but Master Chief from Halo or Isaac from dead space look pretty slick and at the same time intimidating.

Example:

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:46:27 pm
Well, first I'd just like to say that you miiiiiiiiight wanna get rid of that seam over his crotch. :P

A good rule to keep in mind for a guy is to downplay his legs and hips as mush as possible. I'd move the orange things to wrap around him somehow to keep it from making him look stocky. It might be good to define the muscle sections a bit more; don't make his arms any bigger, just put in some sharper lines. Lastly consider making the shoulder pads a bit bigger, give him some more of a neck, and build up his traps.

Maybe a sider stance could help too. Here's a nasty edit since I'm not the best at explaining things:

I really like the helmet! that thing looks so awesome. :crazy:

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:09:55 pm
Dangit Kcilc!  Your post shows up as I hit preview.  :)  

I agree this is a nice design.  Nice shading and great attention to details.

You call the figure he, so it is male, right?  The figure's shape, while not female, evokes a sense of femininity.  

The shoulders look small compared to the large helmet.  The pockets(?) on the chest sit where breasts would and they have a square/round shape, with further emphasis from the white highlights.  The hips don't flare like a women's hips can, but the thick belt combined with the equipment and tubes(?) make the silhouette follow a feminine shape.

The shading on the belly, just above the belt, is a little soft and rounded, which works if the figure is older with a bit of a gut, or if the character has feminine curves.  It could go either way, but the other elements make this look feminine.

Overall this leaves the character a bit androgynous.  To emphasize it as male, make the belt flat so it doesn't stick out on the sides (nor have a thick highlight on top), and edit the pockets on the chest into something else.  To make it a bit bad-ass, give this figure some flatter abs (which will make the shoulders look wider too).  You could widen the shoulders a pixel, but I don't think that is necessary.  

Minor quibbles unrelated to the suggestion of gender.
The center line of the chest is almost pure vertical, but the torso is turned a bit to the side.  I think this should curve a bit.  
The arm on our right looks a little out of proportion.  Not long enough maybe.
The lines on the thighs don't follow the curve of the thigh, nor do they match (one runs to the side, one runs to the center of the knee).
The boot on our left looks...odd.

Whew, a lot of critique!  I don't mean to rip this apart, I think it's really good.    

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 10:18:01 am
Well, first I'd just like to say that you miiiiiiiiight wanna get rid of that seam over his crotch. :P

A good rule to keep in mind for a guy is to downplay his legs and hips as mush as possible. I'd move the orange things to wrap around him somehow to keep it from making him look stocky. It might be good to define the muscle sections a bit more; don't make his arms any bigger, just put in some sharper lines. Lastly consider making the shoulder pads a bit bigger, give him some more of a neck, and build up his traps.

Maybe a sider stance could help too. Here's a nasty edit since I'm not the best at explaining things:

I really like the helmet! that thing looks so awesome. :crazy:

Oh haha...I never noticed the crotch seam could be mistaken...I feel embarrassed now...;;

And I really like what you did to his arms and legs. Thank you! That looks much better now!

If it helps, here is the original model: http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/thumb/7/77/LP2_NewNevec.jpg/150px-LP2_NewNevec.jpg
Maybe I used the reference too much and didn't think about the image to pixel transition so much as I should have...

Oh and Deidara I never thought of Dead Space outfit actually! You're right that it isn't one of the bulkier armour...thanks for the inspiration!

And thank you Tourist, you're right that the shape is quite feminine, whereas I don't mind the design would be more feminine than masculine... Mecha designers like Yoji Shinkawa, I really admire because their work has a more feminine aesthetic but still looks very powerful and sexy... I was aiming for something like that with this but I guess I should be trying to design my own armour instead of attempting a fanart this way.
For me as a female, it is difficult to draw something very manly especially since I usually draw very curvaceous girls, so your points will help me greatly! I'll definetly edit the legs with yours and kcilc's critique in mind and improve the proportions...

Thank you so much :)