AuthorTopic: Mossy stone head  (Read 5520 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

Mossy stone head

on: June 29, 2010, 08:38:48 pm
Hello. I've been trying to pixel without much success. This is my third attempt...

I always get stuck at this point, and I'm not sure what I can do to make it look good.

It's based upon the stone statue of Salasar Slytherin from the first Harry Potter movie:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_vyZolJOJM3Y/R3d4hwpvuDI/AAAAAAAAHMQ/B1jhkw98geY/ginny+&+harry+in+der+kammer+des+schreckens.jpg
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:45:57 am by talin »

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Re: Mossy stone head

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:02:36 pm
It needs texture and depth: after all it IS a giant, solid rock carving.

Make sure to ground the piece. Paint the walls around it and the floor to show the viewer exactly what it is.

Don't be afraid to use your darks in patches, and to drape portions in complete shadow -- it's supposed to be a dark and murky place, after all.

I think dithering is your best bet with this piece -- it needs texture to really define it as rock.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 04:11:48 am
For now just be content learning basic pixel techniques. Focus on clean smooth lines, manual anti-aliasing, etc.

Careful with over-dithering. I almost never use dither but that's just me.

As for the actual subject matter here. Try making it a scene, not a stand-alone sprite. I suggest that so you have actual "space" to place it in, put it in a black square at the least. You're mimicking the photo too much, even transferring over that hotspot highlight on left-side cheek. I say apply your own lighting. I like WM's advice to not fear completely hiding bits in shadow. It's a symmetrical head, we know what's there even if one half is obscured in shadow, don't worry about losing detail.
I think you hit a wall because you don't yet have enough experience in taking lineart you've got and turning it into something with actual forms and volumes - 3D shapes that take on light. And if you don't know what I mean by that, well I'm afraid you may need to back up a little bit with your artistic pursuits and get some principles down. Though, you could always set the goal to learn a certain principle(s) with each project. I know I learn something every time I make something.

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:17:56 pm

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:21:24 pm

You're certainly right that I need to learn about volumes. Everything I make ends up quite flat...
And on this one, this "improvement" resulted in me using a whole bunch of new colors...

Are there any good guides on how to make textures?  I want him to look more mossy, and I need
some texture or something for his beard.

About making an environment for him - maybe that would help, but I want this to be my avatar.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 05:23:49 pm by talin »

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:59:50 am
if you're stuck and find it too difficult, you could always try to simply the subject.

The worst/flat part is his hair. Maybe just do a stone head without the beard or the hair?

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:24:21 am
I would say that you should use a little more about shading and depth.... The problems I see here are mainly because you have the shape fairly decent, but i think there could be a little bit more with the lights and shadows.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:55 am
If you're having trouble defining the subject's form, simplify your work flow. Some things you can do to help yourself when stuck:

- Drastically reduce the number of tones you are using to block in the form. I suggest just dropping to 2 tones, black and white, then moving to 4 tones: black, 35% grey, 65% grey, white. If you can't define the form with just these tones, no additional tones will help you.

- Simplify the 3d form of the subject into more basic primitives. Identify "corners" in the subject - places where the direction of the surface changes significantly. There are many on the skull; the sides of the cheeks and brows, the sides of the nose, the chin, jaw (though these are obscured by the beard, at least identify them to yourself so you know where they are and how the beard connects to them). Break the subject into boxes, spheres, cylinders and cones. From here you can block in the shadow.

That aside, I must second the suggestion to depart from the reference when deciding your lighting and composition. Think about what kind of lighting you want for this piece, low key, high key, above, behind, multiple light sources, what kind of ambient light, etc.

This relates also to the suggestion of "grounding" the subject. Right now it is a floating head... where is it? What is the context? Is it embedded in the ground and we are above it? Is it against a wall? Decide the context, this will also largely decide the lighting.

And of course, have fun.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 02:52:10 am
When I look at this, here is what I see:

Vertical line, vertical line, vertical line.  Both the tips of the hair and the negative space line up too much.  It makes for a dull composition.  This also contributes to the lack of depth.

Try sketching out the hair differently.  You could have it flow in wavy lines or have different lengths.  Or you could keep it straight, but have the hair wrap around some rocks.  Or snarl into tangles.  There are lots of options.

Maybe look at some reference photos of real people for some ideas.

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline RAMENSHOP

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:50:23 am

Smaller canvas is better for pixel art practice.
I recommend 32x32.