AuthorTopic: Robot (by n00b pixel artist)  (Read 3368 times)

Offline gameproducer

• View Profile
    • The Infected (video game)

Robot (by n00b pixel artist)

on: July 13, 2010, 07:06:50 pm
This is my 4th attempt for doing pixel art. It's about this robot. That's it.  :P

Reference is from 50 robots book (page 27 I think).

I video captured the pixel pushing process here:

Part 1 - http://screenr.com/0zR (Gimp decided to crash after 1 minute, so rebooted and splitted the video to 2 parts) - this just shows quick sketch and then more detailed sketch
Part 2 - http://screenr.com/qzR (removing jagged lines, adding colors, highlighting and so)

(Since screenr allows only 5 minutes of recording I stopped, recorded, stopped, recorded etc. So, the robot took more than 6:17 minutes to do  :lol:)

I used 7 colors (+ transparent background)...

Here's the piece now:
(I originally wanted the robot to go fast - like in the reference - but now it looks like sitting :))

64x64

128x128

256x256

And here's the quick "from start to finish" layers:

Since I aim to do game art (which mean I would also need to animate the bastard at some point :D), I probably wouldn't want to add antialias or too much detail but I'm open for ideas on how to improve (it has tons of stuff already if one thinks animation).

My first thought is that the dark green looks almost the same in the left (dark) side of the pic and it's hard to see what's going on there. I also have no clue what to do to that "eye" in the middle.

Offline kamol

• View Profile

Re: Robot (by n00b pixel artist)

Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:55:19 pm
I think it looked better without the details you added. But I like the roboter's shape and look a lot. I'd love to see the reference. :)

edit: I just realized I can find it in the book's preview. Nice for exercising. But how about creating a brand new sprite for your game instead of using someone elses?  ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:00:52 pm by kamol »

Offline gameproducer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 08:00:22 pm
Hey, thanks for the comment. Without details it would be easier to animate too me thinks. :)
I'm sort of experimenting and trying to figure out what I can do & what I like.

You can check the reference via the link provided earlier ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robots-Draw-Paint-Fantastic-Characters/dp/0715324063/ ) , click "look inside" and check page 27

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 08:04:56 pm

I worked on all coloring except the legs. I didn't really edit the outline or the palette.

Your sprite has too much noise because of all the dithering used: you cant rely so strongly on dithering. Make sure not to use your outline's color when dithering unless you have a darn good reason -- when the outline is used, it defeats the purpose of the contour being there in the first place and confuses the viewer.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 08:07:24 pm by WM »

Offline gameproducer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 05:46:05 am
I think it looked better without the details you added. But I like the roboter's shape and look a lot. I'd love to see the reference. :)

edit: I just realized I can find it in the book's preview. Nice for exercising. But how about creating a brand new sprite for your game instead of using someone elses?  ::)
Glad you found it. I won't be using this for my current game - this is merely for exercising.

I worked on all coloring except the legs. I didn't really edit the outline or the palette.

Your sprite has too much noise because of all the dithering used: you cant rely so strongly on dithering. Make sure not to use your outline's color when dithering unless you have a darn good reason -- when the outline is used, it defeats the purpose of the contour being there in the first place and confuses the viewer.
I'm hearing this same from friend of mine (he's artist). I sort of wanted to make it little noisy, since thought that the colored version is bit "plain". Maybe I should try less noisy.

I very much like what you did with the head (one pixel line above the white) also the arms are really nicely lighted, and so is the "torso" (or whatever spine that is). Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 05:52:38 am by gameproducer »