AuthorTopic: Plataform Mockup  (Read 5730 times)

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Plataform Mockup

on: June 28, 2010, 07:34:36 am

Any c&c?  i need somes.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Plataform Mockup

Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:01:08 am
Sorry for being in a rush, but
1) you should be consistent with your perspective. Check out some Commander Keen 4 (PC) screenshot for reference.
2) having all the sparkling of the water disappearing and reappearing simultaneously makes it look like the sun is blinking, not like they were due to movement of water.
3) altering the shadow according to the height of the platform is interesting, but you'd have a better result if the transition was smoother. You can achieve that with fast blink between dark-shadow and mid-shadow ... or you can alter the shadow's size rather than its opacity.
4) your rocks texture needs work. I'd suggest you give a look at Indigo's stuff, and if that sounds too complicated for you atm, to opt for a more symbolic approach such as the one of 2DHero

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 03:20:24 am
Here a big edit.. Tnks for the tips.

I will search a water sparkling reference i need some help ..

More fast ..

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 03:22:41 am by Marcpixels »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:00:03 pm
there's improvement, though I'd have kept horizontal things for the distant waves rather than vertical (my brains say "that's rain"  ::) ). I suggest you make the island lower: if they were really on the horizon line, you wouldn't see them that much. Hunting for a reference e.g. on flickr could help, and giving it shading to convey their shapes (hills, (3) ) will be welcome.

Imho, your priority now should be to work the ground texture more. Mirroring doesn't do any good here (2), and you are not consistent against your lightsource (v-x). If ground is made of big chunks of rock, rock have large depth. They almost don't overlap (1)

PS: how about dropping the boxes around the hearts and simply have a cloud to support them ?

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 02:43:28 pm
The palette and rocks have improved, but the rock still needs work.

The larger platforms closer to the bottom need to have straighter edges like the floating platforms above; if you you want to force some perspective, round at the edges with shading.  Just my opinion.

The islands in the background look flat; a little more rounding at the bottom might fix that.

I like the look and feel of it, so far!  Keep it up, has a sort of Bonk meets Sonic feel.

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 09:58:26 pm
Im trying to get a better look of the rock..

i was playing sonic 2, to see some ref of the waves. and the background

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:00 pm
Number two is definitely better here, but you're still inconsistent with the edges of your platforms. The tall skinny ones are perfectly straight vertically, and the longer ones have perspective. Choose one and stick with it  ;)

Great improvement so far!

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 11:20:17 pm
The smaller rock is too noisy/trafficy. I say go with the bigger rock ,but take PypeBros' advice and shade them to give them more volume and dimension. Right now the pixel clusters are too large and undisturbed to be interesting.

Offline Marcpixels

• Haha!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 06:18:33 pm
edit:

^^.. i think it see better now.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 08:17:24 am
To be honest, you've lost some of the initial charm by killing the perspective platforms. Also, I'd suggest you keep working with the light background. The black one will misguide you.