AuthorTopic: Pixel talk  (Read 10516 times)

Offline helloimpoor

• View Profile

Pixel talk

on: March 31, 2006, 07:01:43 pm
i'm new and therefore i am a bit lost in all this pixel language. please can people post here the 'pixel word' and its meaning for us lesser mortals. Some examples of things i want to know are 'sprites', 'dithers' and 'pixel dumps' etc...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 07:04:22 pm by helloimpoor »

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Re: Pixel talk

Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 09:00:32 pm
Wikipedia knows all.

Pixel - "A pixel (a portmanteau of picture element) is one of the many tiny dots that make up the representation of a picture in a computer's memory. Usually the dots are so small and so numerous that, when printed on paper or displayed on a computer monitor, they appear to merge into a smooth image."

Dither - "Dithering is a technique used in computer graphics to create the illusion of color depth in images with a limited color palette (quantization). In a dithered image, colors not available in the palette are approximated by a diffusion of colored pixels from within the available palette. The human eye perceives the diffusion as a mixture of the colors within it. Dithering is analogous to the halftone technique used in printing. Dithered images, particularly those with relatively few colors, can often be distinguished by a characteristic graininess, or speckled appearance."

Sprite - "In computer graphics, a sprite is a two-dimensional image or animation that is integrated into a larger scene."

Pixel Dump - ...Well okay, it doesn't know everything.  Not in the wikipedia, but I'm pretty sure this term denotes sketches and random artwork done using a pixelling technique to draw them. "Dump" probably connotes they don't necessarily reflect the artist's best work, and display their skill in its unpolished form.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 09:23:41 pm
anti-aliasing or aa: a tecnique used to smooth out graphics. it means to take the pixels off the grid( i think???)

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 09:32:41 pm
Actually, I think aaing is when you blend two colours together in order to improve the smoothness of the piece (I think this is wahat ryumaru meant).

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 01:29:03 am

Offline robalan

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 01:28:32 am
Always remember: a preposition is not something you should end a sentence with.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 01:33:12 am
Actually, I think aaing is when you blend two colours together in order to improve the smoothness of the piece (I think this is wahat ryumaru meant).

i know that much but aliasing is supposedly " alighning the pixels to the grid" or something to that effect and anti aliasing un-grids the pixels.

Offline Radioactivity

• rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 12:12:26 pm
you can't un-grid the pixels, by using aa it creates an illusion of smoothness, all the pixels are still in the grid.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:10 pm
you can't un-grid the pixels, by using aa it creates an illusion of smoothness, all the pixels are still in the grid.

sorry, but.. duh

i like ryumarus explanation. aa is like transferring contrasting borders, which actually are running along sub-pixel level lines, into the pixelgrid imposed by the screen. it's all about estimating the percentages of space the contrasting colors in question would use up of each pixel, thus giving the 'formula' or mixing ratio for this pixel's color

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 05:02:23 pm
Just remember a subpixel is always a bigger pixel than a regular pixel :P