AuthorTopic: [WIP] Lancer (SHUMP)  (Read 7322 times)

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

[WIP] Lancer (SHUMP)

on: June 26, 2010, 04:02:48 pm
Hey there,
i need some crits here on this ship. I dont pixel for like 2 years and im kinda rusted. Some help would really be apreciated.

Here is the ship, im insecure about the overall design, the AA, the perspective and the collor choice, so i want some opinions about it.

Also, i used this 3D model i did myself as a reference. Its not ment to be equal, just the idea.

http://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagem/ver/Lancer1.png
http://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagem/ver/Lancer2.png
http://uploaddeimagens.com.br/imagem/ver/Lancer4.png

Thanks for the attention and sorry for my bad english.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Lancer (SHUMP)

Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:00 pm
I really like the overall ship design and pallet, there is one thing bugging me tho.
The hull of the ship seems to be at a slight angle, but the cockpit and gun turret thingy are at a sideview, so it apears the hull is leaning down well everything else is lined up with the player... that looks kind of broken, perspective wise.
I would keep the hull, rather then scrapping it, and make an angled version of the turret and cockpit, then use them all together for when the ship is moving down, and then make a new version of the hull at a side view that lines up with the cockpit and turret to use when the ship is just flying straight ahead (so if the its NOT moving, assuming this is infinitely scrolling,) followed by another version of all of them angled in the opposite direction, for when you are flying up.
If you are feeling lazy, or trying to do this in one frame, however, just make the hull sideview, as that perspective will make more sense with a constant forwards motion.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:24:53 pm
Here's an update, fixed the perspective zez has pointed out (thanks for that :D) and some other minor things.

do you guys think the n3 is ok? or does it need something down there like the 4th picture?

-EDIT-

Quick fix on the upper part of the body

-EDIT-

Made another propulsor. I think the perspective is correct now, what do you guys think?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:09:04 pm by BlackFang »

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 02:27:21 am
Adding another ship

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 06:54:06 pm
Hi there,

i need some critics on theese animations (especially on the 1st):

Offline MisterPink

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:59:19 pm
Hi BlackFang,

I'm no expert but the animation on the first seems a little jaggy a couple of smoothing frames (if that is what its called? No idea?) should sort it.

The second animation is rockingly good, can't see anything much wrong with it, sorry. Oh, just noticed...oh wait nevermind, my screen is tilted at the moment and skewed it a wee bit.

As for the ship, thats awesome too. Really dig the shading and highlights.
I like turtles.

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:28:11 am
It is kind of a jumpy animation, and could totally do with a few tweening frames, but I think if its moving down when it leans one way and up when it leans the other, it should look smooth enough in action that noone will notice. There are however two things bugging me.
1. When it leans closer, the grey bit on the front of the wing suddenly darkens, and looks pretty wrong. This is made worse by the darkest shadow in the AA sticking out like a sore thumb, but is kind wonky all around (I realize if its top lit, there is now shadow over it, but its far to intense, also, if this is set in space your worrying to much about your light source.)
2. In the middle frame, your back wing tip turns into a strip of two or three pixels, well previously it was a point. Made more glaringly obvious by the fact that those two pixels dont appear to be connected to anything at all. I would just loose them, honestly.

Also, that laser is damned saucy, as is the giant one with the ripples of energy.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 02:04:56 am
I took your advice and replaced the shadow on the front wing, and took the pixel on the middle frame too.

This is only the "move down" animation, i will make it turning to the other side as well (move up). the jumpy thing was a position error that didn't care about, but i fixed it anyway.
i don't get what you mean about the laser, if u said it was kinda weak, its because its the main shot, the big laser up there is like the special shot.

Thanks for the critics and sorry for my english.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:12:42 am by BlackFang »

Offline Don risotto

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 04:29:04 pm
OH man. I love that laser. more of that, if anything! (constructive I know  :crazy:)

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 05:05:28 pm
Cool, thats way better. If it is just the moving down animation (I was imagining the middle frame as being flying forwards, an the other two as being up and down) then it needs some tweening to get it smooth. My comment on the laser, btw, was praise, an not saying it looked weak, quite the opposite in fact. (Meaning the laser is awesome, dont change it.)