AuthorTopic: [WIP] Rocks  (Read 9408 times)

Offline Son of Bryce

• I think I make games?
    • View Profile
    • Sokay.net

[WIP] Rocks

on: June 23, 2010, 09:33:43 am
Hello ya'll,

I've lurked this forum for years but this is my first time posting. I've been meaning to do more pixel art but I never get around to it. Here's something I started recently. I'm aiming to finish it! ;D

This is based off of a photo I found here.

I'll continue to update this as I make progress.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [WIP] Rocks

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:22:00 am
May I suggest a colour update to get closer to a "rock" tint? What you have right now in your field might be misread as giant lumps of meal ...

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 04:40:12 pm
I say change it to meat. cause that's just a crazy thought of giant sliced meat sitting in a field like cows

Offline Son of Bryce

• I think I make games?
    • View Profile
    • Sokay.net

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 05:09:06 pm
Haha, thanks guys.

Is there any easy way of adjusting the colors in a layer file in Photoshop? I know you can use indexed color mode and edit the color table but it flattens the image.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:38:21 pm
Haha, thanks guys.

Is there any easy way of adjusting the colors in a layer file in Photoshop? I know you can use indexed color mode and edit the color table but it flattens the image.

I always use the magic wand tool to select a color (set it to 1), and then use 'adjust hue/saturation' to tinker with the color. I know that there are probably more efficient ways of doing it, but this works for me :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:35:13 pm
just fill bucket the color you want to change .. ?
' _ '

Offline Ultimaodin

• Unknown Artistry
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 12:56:22 am
I personally think Bryce's method to be a little irritable as I prefer to hand pick the colour.

Simply use the wand to select the colour then just boost the brush tool up to max and draw the colour you choose onto the entire canvas, filling only the areas that are selected automatically.  :)

Anyway that's how I do it in Paint Shop Pro, not certain if the method works in Photoshop.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 07:31:57 am
I personally think Bryce's method to be a little irritable as I prefer to hand pick the colour.

Simply use the wand to select the colour then just boost the brush tool up to max and draw the colour you choose onto the entire canvas, filling only the areas that are selected automatically.  :)

Anyway that's how I do it in Paint Shop Pro, not certain if the method works in Photoshop.

Yeah, you get the exact same result by using the paint bucket in photoshop. You click one colour having 'contiguous' unchecked, et voila, all same-coloured pixels are replaced!
' _ '

Offline Son of Bryce

• I think I make games?
    • View Profile
    • Sokay.net

Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 05:53:20 am
Progress...

This is turning out to be pretty time consuming, haha. I'm not too concerned about the colors for now, gonna adjust them as I work. For now I'm trying to get a clear idea of how I'm gonna shade this thing. Jumping in!

Thanks for the tips by the way, I forgot about unchecking "contiguous" Photoshop for filling all colors.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:55:24 am by Son of Bryce »

Offline Son of Bryce

• I think I make games?
    • View Profile
    • Sokay.net

Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 08:14:47 am
Found my way back to this -- another update.