AuthorTopic: Commander Shepard - The C64 Version :o [WIP]  (Read 6592 times)

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Commander Shepard - The C64 Version :o [WIP]

on: June 19, 2010, 10:32:29 pm
Current:

Original:

I've always wanted to do a full C64 image and I thought it would be cool to make it something anachronistic. And Mass Effect :y:

Anyway, reference images:

[1] [2] [3] [4]

I mainly used 1 and 2 for the character. I have no idea why the first image is so tiny and poorly compressed D: I took that image ages ago and then found it on my HD.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:16:04 am by skamocore »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: Mass Effect 2 is Coming to C64 :o [WIP]

Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:00:44 pm

Gave a stab at doing her, think I failed, hope it helps though.
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: Commander Shepard - The C64 Version :o [WIP]

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 05:20:55 am
How do you draw with the double-wide pixels? By hand or is there some program that makes it easier?

Offline skamocore

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 05:39:33 am

@Chris: gah, how did I not realise her hair was far too short, thanks. Also, I tried giving her a bit of a right ear.

@EvilEye: Changing the pixel aspect ratio in Photoshop.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:05 am
@EvilEye: Changing the pixel aspect ratio in Photoshop.

Doesn't look like my version of photoshop has that feature ( photoshop elements 4.0 ). Too bad, I was going to give it a go. Instead I'll just throw out critiques.

Her hair is really tight against her skull on the right side. I guess you could do that, but it looks like an odd way to wear your hair.

The left ear is too small and I don't think you'd be able to see her right ear from that angle.

Looks like the eyes are too high on the face.

Lots of little things that are hard to describe :blind: Your working too hard on drawing details you know are on a face and not drawing things how they should look, if that makes any sense. For instance the eyes don't look like outlined ovals in real life, depending on the lighting you may not even see the oval shape.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:48 am
Hi, skamocore. I think you've got yourself some troubles that don't have to do with pixels and c64 resolutions but with how to construct a human face.

Here's a step by step edit I did of your piece, but I don't know how helpful it is given that it uses foreknowledge you might not have.

First I removed the face completely as I was going to start from structure. Then I pulled the face foreward and shaped the neck. This is a very common beginner human anatomy problem, propping the face on what amounts to a cylinder or pyramid completely in the middle. But the neck is a spine, carotyd and other life support and a lot of muscle (a LOT of muscle) to keep it not only propped but moving in every direction it needs to go. Seriously, look at pictures of cute girls with scrawny little necks, you'd think there's no muscle there, but look at them turn their heads to the side and check out how much the tendons show. Necks are important.

Then I put on the facial characteristics according to a few simple guidelines I drew. I can't really help you internalize this step because it has nothing to do with pixel art, it has to do with studying facial anatomy as a thing in itself. I referenced your shepard 2 picture to get some likeness but really it wasn't much my priority.

Then I put on some basic light shading according to same reference so it's not that bare, I halved the image and then multiplied it by two to get it all back to being widepixelled and did a minimum amount of cleanup just so it didn't bug me and posted the edit here as it's not my own art to finish any more than that. Hope it's helpful in some degree.

Offline skamocore

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 12:06:15 pm
Thanks heaps for the editmation Helm. It took me a while to get back to working on this. I still don't feel I'm that close to being finished yet.

Also, I started adding some brickish texture in the background, not sure if I'm going to keep it though.

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 03:28:10 pm

i made the ear more vertical, as in helms edit, as yours angle outwards quite a bit. moved the eyes and nose down to give her more forehead. made the lips a bit longer so they don't read as pursed, chin is probably still a little beefy. emulated helm's shoulder a tad as i think that's an important part of his edit, the gentle slope of the trapezius gets rid of that frozen boxy look. also tried to define the side of the head as a plane distinct from the front.

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 08:13:12 pm
Not much to say, but that those refs look terrible to me, esp #2. Monsters look like that, not humans!  :o
I wouldn't follow them too closely...

I don't like the noisy black corners a lot. You just used the spray tool didn't you?  :crazy:

And I love Cure's edit, I'm amazed that the overall feel is so different when I can barely spot the actual changes.

Offline skamocore

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 04:12:06 am

@Manu - Nope, definitely not spray canned :-X but it's gone now anyway.

@Cure - Thanks, those were some of the subtle things I wanted to convey yet didn't know how, especially the lips.