AuthorTopic: Sorry, I'm sick of seeing trees too  (Read 5571 times)

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Sorry, I'm sick of seeing trees too

on: June 18, 2010, 03:55:25 am

I've always been terrible at shading leaves, and this is another beautiful example. Heeelp D-:
The Wild thing

Offline beaux

• jebiga
    • View Profile

Re: Sorry, I'm sick of seeing trees too

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 04:03:17 am
i like the way you are handling the lighting just as it is
never thought I'd be glad to get back to this rock again.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:24:20 am
You have a good sense of general volume of the leaves.
pay attention to your ref if you have one, try to replicate the hardest things. Notably, virtually all trees (and many shrubs) have non-uniform leaf coverage (which results in partial  or total holes)
, so break up the uniformity of your shading

And, consider the volumes in relation to each other.. like you have put together three different lumps of clay.. they change angle gradually, so the light level should match between eg. the back edge of the frontmost blob, and the front edge of the backmost blob.

Quick edit:

EDIT: Also, I agree with Jad's comment below. you need to decide the normal leaf shape and fix the outline shape to match it.Keeping in mind that the leaf shape is likely to be skewed near the edges of the outline because it's facing at an angle to the viewer.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:37:30 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:20:56 am
Grass tree looks weird, try to make the edges of the tree by drawing blobs and then refining them ... ?
' _ '

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 12:53:30 am

Kind of tried the blob method, did it work?
The Wild thing

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 06:06:38 am
Nice texture on the leaves. But I don't know where the lights coming from. The Trunk says it's coming from my viewpoint of straight on. The leaves say a little low on the left. What's going on there? Maybe it's just me.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 05:52:37 pm
it looks like big transcluent strands of grass, I'm not completely feeling it. Try to make blobs with solid color! Err. Yeah!

The outline is miles better, though!
' _ '

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 11:17:13 pm
it looks like big transcluent strands of grass, I'm not completely feeling it.

That. When I made my edit I didn't mean that it was 'correct' -- it was just meant to convey the ideas (unifying the shadow areas, etc). I recognize that it looks grassy (and at the least, kind of messy). Actually getting good leaf shapes would require a good deal of time and thought.

Regarding the outline: not all leaves are likely to be sticking directly out on the outline. some will be at an angle to the viewer and so be foreshortened and skewed. For example, you tend to get a lot of standing out leaves on the bottom of a mass of tree leaves, but much less on the top, so emulating this effect improves the depth of your image. (conversely if you want a somewhat flattened, simplified aspect, you might deliberately ignore those dynamics (as in cartoons etc) )
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 06:00:49 am
Oh I know, I was just using you're edit because I accidently deleted my file. First thing I C/P'd, I'll go back and make leaves within the tree itself. I totally see what you mean by the leave outline, but I think I like the how it is now, it fits the style of my game.
The Wild thing

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:42 pm

Finished. Probably not going to do any more because I need to start working on other things.
The Wild thing