AuthorTopic: (Wip) A Tree  (Read 17905 times)

Offline e4r

• View Profile

(Wip) A Tree

on: June 17, 2010, 04:48:01 pm
Hi guys, This is my first tree, I used a guide to learn how to do it it was from deviant art. But So i tried my bes to make it and here's what I got:

Would like some Critisism and comments on how to improve it because I will use it for a game :o

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: (Wip) A Tree

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52:49 pm
id love to see the link of the tutorial you saw on deviantart. mind linking that up?

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:58:40 pm
K hold on,

Link for Tree(Leaves Tut): http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=pixel+tree+#/d27a86d

Link for The brown thingy, stump or w/e: http://www.byond.com/members/PixelArt/forum?id=4275

Btw St0ven you have a brick wall tut on pixel zone, I might check it out xD

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 05:13:55 pm
Love the foliage  :) The dithering on the trunk is unnecessary I think. Did myself an edit, quick and dirty-like. Heightened the contrast some and shaded the trunk a bit differently with it receiving shade from the foliage above.

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:17:07 pm
Thanks for the edit, it looks better to me actually. So I did good I suppose for my first tree ?

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:56:30 pm
Something tells me that the lighting is wrong making the tree as viewed from an impossible perspective.
in fact, it may be related to your detailing/texturing.
Exagerating this I have the feeling that one side is crisp and the other one blurry.
The ErekT version while being nicer and giving a more natural look actually emphasized my feeling...

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:06:42 pm
I dont understand what you're saying anarkhya. I'm confused -.-

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:22:38 pm
What he means is that if the tree was illuminated by the sun then the trunk wouldn't be shaded like that (right?). It would be mostly in shadow because the light rays would bounce off the foilage directly above it. I tried to shift your highlights to the top of the roots to indicate where the light would hit. Thing is tho', the trunk should be darker with less saturated colours (the more shade the less saturation). It should probably have less contrast than I gave it too, both to fit better with the foilage contrast and because, well.. it really shouldn't receive much light at all.

EDIT:
Okay, I edited the palette and added a shadow covering most of the roots and trunk to illustrate. Judging by the highlights on the foilage the light seems to come from a top down angle slightly skewed towards the viewer. With that light I believe everything except part of the roots in front would be in shadow.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:45:10 pm by ErekT »

Offline e4r

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 07:15:25 pm
Oh, I understand now. The leaves would be blocking the sun's rays from hitting the trunk of the tree. So the trunk should be darkened by shadows. Anar also said something about one side crisp the otehr blurry, I don't get that also, did that have to do with the trunk, or the leaves?

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 09:24:37 pm
The right side (our right) has some sharp highlights while the colours on the left side are more even. This makes for inconsistency within the foilage part of the tree. You can solve this two ways; first one is to just add highlights to the left side but that would appear to bring it forward into the light alongside the right, resulting in a flatter looking tree. Not a great solution in other words. The other way would be to even out the stark highlights on the right side with in-between colours and/or using colours further apart from each other  on the left side to create a similar sense of contrast there.