AuthorTopic: Guess the Movie pixel blog  (Read 6222 times)

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Re: Guess the Movie pixel blog

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 12:21:18 am
Well, honestly, the 400*400 illustration you linked is not my taste and is pretty far from being serious pixel art (Painful aliasing, dirty shapes, no shading). It has the feeling of a wanna-be-pixel piece but with no real consideration for the medium. It could have been nice if vectorized but currently Its just a very rushed and pointless pixel result. btw, where did this come from?

On the contrary, the sprite you've created, evokes a pixel attitude, and show, at least, that some pixel knowledge is going on.
The palette still, IMO, need to be cut, giving the details I see, 16 colors should be a real max. Also, Think about using png indexed, as png 32bits is unnecessary when doing pixels.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 12:24:35 am by Anarkhya »

Offline radstronomical

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 02:40:16 am
the 400x400 was a doodle I did while at work. I understand what you're saying about the rough shapes -- I didn't go back in and try to fix them at all cause I was really just messing around at the outset. The aliasing, though, I enjoy. I guess where you're taking the idea of very small pixel pieces and furthering it as a method to achieve detail and smoothness, I'm more trying to nod to the things that moved me as a child -- rough simple illustrations like the one in this article, from crash 'n the boys: http://kotaku.com/5359270/nintendo-weekly-download-update-issues-a-street-challenge

Granted, I also want to explore the use of this art on a small scale as you do, and i'm sure the techniques you all use will be invaluable for me as I start to get into sprite animation for my own games.

Thanks for your continued feedback! I hope I don't sound like I'm brushing off what you're saying or like I'm being defensive -- I think I'm just very new to this world.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 12:45:35 pm
aha, considering the aliasing field, I understand you think that aliasing have to be there for your nostagia to function.

It may be a fake memory attraction, well speaking from my child experience (precisely, pixelled games from late 1980's to mid 90's, Nes, SuperNes and Amiga systems), aliasing has always been an ugly thing that indicates bad done jobs or early PC monitors and so dont appeal my nostalgia.

As for the street gangs-nekketsu thing you linked, this is probably a zoomed pic so aliasing may be an unwanted resize result...

I'm interested in this discussion about Pixel art representation, so please hang on!
Regarding your attitude, you sound volunteer and sane so dont worry! ;)

Offline radstronomical

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 06:44:35 pm
Nah, that image actually takes up the whole screen area in the intro to that game. that's just the way the illustration is. And yeah, it's definitely just a nostalgia thing -- I understand your not being into it. But i like the idea of trying to make something hard soft with the shaping of the line and the color choice made for line vs. color rather than doing it with antialiasing. Obviously using both of those things could achieve a smoother and more refined result, but to me these aliased images are like a song with tape hiss on the track. It's rough, but there's also something quaint about it.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 15, 2010, 10:12:19 pm
...So we agree to disagree on how our desires define our viewer experience. I got the point.