AuthorTopic: 8-Bit game sprites and tiles  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Ails

• View Profile

8-Bit game sprites and tiles

on: June 16, 2010, 11:28:23 pm
I was trying to make graphics for my game, and after i saw this (http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6890.0) i decided to use the NES palette and restrictions (most of them) to make it

About:
The game takes place inside a really big tree. It was hard to come up with tiles to make the inside of a tree
They may not make much sense, but c'mon, its a fantasy NES game :D

New:

----
Old:

Screenshot

Sprites

Tiles

C+C? Ideas? ^^
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:10:34 pm by Ails »

Offline beaux

• jebiga
    • View Profile

Re: 8-Bit game sprites and tiles

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 02:45:07 am
its cool looking.  i would make the cave-ish backdrop thing a little darker so that it blends in more.  the main ground should stand out but the background should be darkened so it doesnt make for too much eye candy.
never thought I'd be glad to get back to this rock again.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 04:48:20 am
Ehhh sloppy edit, sorry.

I wanted to point out readability between foreground and background. It's kind of hard for me to find a good set of dark colours with the NES palette, so I did the best I could. I realise my edit has largely destroyed the idea of "a continuous body of rock" between the foreground and background; my intention is simply to point out a design goal. Use colour to maximise contrast and direct focus. Tinting the background towards one temperature and then keeping the game objects (such as enemies, powerups, bullets, etc) as the opposite temperature can help readability a lot. Compare the pop of the enemies in my edit to yours.

Try incorporating hue shift as much as possible in your palettes to harmonise your tileset. Having all your ramps get cooler as they get darker can help a lot to bring a scene together.

You've pushed texture to an extreme. Would probably smoothen out great on an old CRT, but the graininess is a little visually overwhelming. I would attempt more simplified blocks of colour as an experiment. At least for the foreground rocks.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 03:49:41 am
Love the way Eyecraft used cools to turn the bg's priority way down. Way easier to visually understand. And agreed, the ubiquitous dither grain is overdone.

Leafy platforms are a little hard to make out.

Overall it's very nice.

Offline Paul whoknows

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:50 pm
Your tiles looks very nice, what program did you use to create them?

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 08:03:17 pm
I think perhaps the tiles are too busy. It's like wearing a striped button down shirt with a striped tie... it doesn't mesh. However, if you wear a plain color button down shirt with a striped tie, it tends to work much better.

There's my two cents. The character and little moles are cool, though :y:
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa

Offline eobet

• View Profile
    • eobet disajn

Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 09:09:49 am
I do not think that the rock background needs to be pushed back more into the dark, because you very cleverly shaded all the edges of them which has the effect that the brain automatically sorts them in 3D space for you.

However, the vines in the background are only shaded at the very top, and if you don't focus your vision in that location, you may be fooled into thinking that it's in the foreground (until you see the foreground vine).

As for the dithering, I love it. It makes it feel very crisp and detailed on my display (Macbook Pro).

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 03:36:41 am
I actually really like how this is looking, maybe do a 50% overlay of Eyecrafts colours on top of your own?

Offline Ails

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:09 pm
Update

The huntress character and some more background stuff

PS: the scarf is generated in-game

I'm planning on changin the HUD, doesn't look too NES-ish

Offline Olothontor

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:26:41 pm
I'm planning on changin the HUD, doesn't look too NES-ish

It's also kinda difficult to see. Besides that, though, again I say; good work. Look forward to completed product.
"In a mad world, only the mad are sane." - Akira Kurosawa