AuthorTopic: Character re-do  (Read 4475 times)

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Character re-do

on: June 15, 2010, 06:12:35 pm
Well I'm trying to make some cool sprites with a character idea I previously had, but she was too big for me to animate. (Or rather, I was too lazy to animate such a big sprite)

So, I'm trying to remake her and at the same time, make some other things I can use in the future. So, i'd like some feedback on what I make as I continue working on it.

Here's most recent:

Older Versions:
(Also, if I ever make a game for this character, she'll be 2x size or larger)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:45:55 am by brod »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Re: Character re-do

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 08:04:08 pm
So, first off... Im about 10 times as into the first one as the new one.
I think she could work at that resolution, with some minor changes. First off, her proportions got wonky. I would make her arm skinny, like it was in the first. This wouldnt bug me as much if it wasnt for the first sprite, but her pose just doesnt read as well now. I would also raise the elbow a little bit, and elongate her legs/shrink her torso. right now her torso appears considerably longer then her legs. I think part of the problem is just how far down her crotch is, but raising the belt a few pixels, and maybe getting rid of the top black line on it. (just so you have more room for the actual torso).
I also really dug the front arm holding the sword, but I can see that being a pain in the neck to animate, so I cant really blame you for culling it. The blue hair matching the pants gave her a bit more style. I like her new haircut, and I really dig the way you rendered the ear, but making her a brunet makes her look more like an NPC and less like the main character.
I would also EITHER give her eyes, or lower her bangs and the shadow. Im not suggesting drawing eyes on the face exactly, just some shading to suggest they are there, right now her face looks pretty weird at 2x zoom. It works at 1, but if you are zooming in, I would add eyes, or just lower the bangs/shadow.

here's two edits that basically address all of that. They are basically the same, I lowered the bangs on, the other I gave her an eye. I tweaked the anatomy on both, they are a tad bit rough, but take what you will from them.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 08:23:11 pm by zez »

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:41:52 am
Thanks for the tips, they all helped a lot! And I tried tackling all of the problems you mentioned, and I brought back the hair too since you're right about her being better as a blue-nett. I also tried to begin shading the portrait.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:46:23 am by brod »

Offline zez

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:13:40 am
Wow... that pretty much addressed everything I said. Rock. My one peeve with the new one is that her head shrunk a little bit. It looks totally fine in a stylized/anime sort of way, but heads arent really shaped that way. Mind you, they ARE in anime, and some other more modern cartooning styles (mostly ones that have clearly been heavily influenced by the Japanese, mind you) so its not really an issue, and it reads fine. If its a stylistic choice, I say go for it, nothing actually wrong with it, just somewhere in the back of your head try to remember that peoples heads in the real world are more elliptical then that...
Actually, seeing as it wasnt a problem in the other versions, or in the status icon thingy, Im going to assume you know that and its stylistic. /end rant.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:23 am
Hey brod! Made a little edit:

Hope it helps some.

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 03:33:16 am
Felt like offering my two cent

sorry for mutilating your sprite  :'(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 03:36:58 am
IvanX, why do you think selout helps this sprite?

Offline brod

• Chocolate Covered
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 03:04:47 pm
Thanks for all the edits you guys! Though IvanX, that looks like a totally different style from what I'm trying to capture.
Anyways, here's another update: