AuthorTopic: Plainsland Orc [C&C]  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Plainsland Orc [C&C]

on: June 14, 2010, 08:13:48 pm
I started this last night and worked on it quite a bit this morning. I think I've come to an impasse at which point I can no longer improve it alone. I seek to prick thoughts from the artistic minds that wander here.

This is a battle sprite for a Dragon Warrior-esque RPG, one of the tribal plains orcs.

Current
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:46:39 pm by Vermolius »

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: Plainsland Orc [C&C]

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 09:45:58 pm
I like the face, even with the oversized head.

I think the arm holding the spear is rather flat.  It's unclear if the arm is behind or in front of the torso.

For a reference, take a look at http://www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com

Use the search boxes on the left and select Gender: Man , Poses Type: fighting with Spear, and Poses Category: Standing Poses.   There are about 32 pages of reference photos.  Some with swords rather than spears, but most with spears, from different angles.  Caution, plenty of nudes.

Tourist

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:23 pm
Wow, that site is amazing. Bookmarked!
Here is my attempt at addressing the issue with the arm:

Does that make it any easier to read? I used (nudity) this and (nudity) this as references, again, thanks for showing me the site.

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:45:29 pm
A little bit of an update, some improvements to the chest to make him have less boobage and his weapons now sport bone blades, among other minor changes.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:11 pm

I tried a rough edit to play with some things. I didnt take it in an rpg direction i suppose, but maybe youll find it helpful moving forward.

After my last image i posted here i dont think that i have much clout in telling you that the pose could use some work, but i think its true. mine isnt a great interpretation either considering that it looks like hes leaning backwards a bit, but hopefully it can give an example of what you can do with his arms/legs in terms of placement potential and shading.

I dont think you really need the dithering that youre doing , values alone can probably achieve a better result unless you are dithering with a really dark or light value. otherwise i cant see it being necessary here.

The spear looks unmenacingly skinny, there is no perspective to give it any depth so it looks tiny.

I havent any idea whats going on with his one tooth being like 4 times the length of the others but its a bit distracting. the head is a bit big compared to the rest of the body as well, which is having an effect of making him look more cute or stupid than scary or evil.

hes a big sprite theres a lot of information you can squeeze into that space.

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:48:39 pm
Damn st0ven that is an awesome edit, Vermolius really study that edit and try to figure out why he did what he did. It seems you need a bit of a better fundamental grounding as well Verm, maybe you should study up on anatomy a bit, do some life drawing (could be from photo too), draw a lot of still life, find good ways to set up, etc.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 11:59:03 pm
Hell I'm gonna study that thing too! Great shading and pose :o
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 12:01:46 am by ErekT »

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:08 am
I've been staring at it for an hour now. St0ven, you captured what I wanted nearly exactly, wow...   :'(

I'll agree with the dithering, I started disliking it more and more the longer I looked at it, but that hardly matters compared to what you've shown me. What you did with the spear made tons of difference, too.

Many many many thank you's to you, St0ven. I'm just going to sit here a while longer and continue studying them pixels, see what all I can learn from this.

Oh, that 'tooth' was supposed to be a tusk as well.