AuthorTopic: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 8/18  (Read 18301 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 7/10

Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:23:46 pm
Just wanted to pop in and throw my two cents in with bengoshia. You were really making some nice progress on the sprite as it was (smaller). Making it that much bigger is seriously going to more than quadruple the workload across the board, for really no aesthetic gains. If you're going that big you may as well just go 3D.

I'll give you some harsh critiques on the big guy anyways, just for kicks and giggles:

His belt-line is curving really strangely, as if his pants are falling off in the back or his shirttails are not tucked in.

The close arm is really wacky looking. Can't really tell what's going on there, especially the chunk in the crook of the elbow.

Far arm seems to be nonexistent. We should be able to see at least a bit of his elbow I'd think. I also can't figure out where the hand holding the barrel of the gun is supposed to be.

Boots are not uniformly sized.

The shading on the legs is rather odd. Close leg highlight terminates well before the knee, which is odd.

His butt seems to be a bit droopy, though this is also accentuated by the odd curve to the belt.

The far upper leg is rather misshapen, seems to bow in at the middle, rather than out.

Anyways, I was really liking where this was going at the smaller scale and I don't think making everything so much bigger is a good idea at all.

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 11:59:30 pm
If you NEED to make it bigger, then dont pixel it that big, instead you should pixel it at the same size you were before, and then just blow it up. That, or use other digital art (vector, etc). It's going to be a huge pain animating by pixel something that large.

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 02:59:23 am
pawige: Thanks for the critique. I think most of my trouble came from trying to "remaster" the existing art at a new resolution and  picking the worst possible frame to start from -the one with both feet in the air. I think I'm just going to start over with a new rough-in to make sure I get the forms right first.

The decision to do higher resolution sprites is final.. and I'm surprised at all the nay-saying.  It's only 80px tall.. not super unmanageably large by any means.  I have maybe a total of 5-6 hours in on this guy so far, and I'm not coming from zero animation knowledge here either. Doing this has been a learning experience to be certain, but I'm confident I'll be able to tackle this with frequent critique from all the awesome guys here.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 04:36:15 am
I'm gonna jump in with all the nay-sayers and say that upping the size/res is not a good idea.
Increasing the size of sprites always seems to have an exponential effect on workload. Pixels are weird like that  :crazy:

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 7/11

Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 05:17:21 am
Had another go at it, from scratch this time:

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 08:41:22 am
The neck and upper arm are both too long. Try bending your arm and then squeeze it against your side; you'll notice the elbow only reaches as far down as your lower ribs.

And I agree with the others on the resolution too: as a small time developer you don't need a quadrupled workload to break your back/motivation :wah: How about doing them small first to get a basic prototype up and running? Your hero there and a couple of enemies along with a background or two. And then, when you have a feel for the amount of work needed even for the low-res sprites, decide whether you want to go small or big for the entire thing?

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: August 16, 2010, 06:49:13 pm

Update:

I decided to scrap the whole thing because I hate it, admit that doubling the resolution was a bad idea, and start over with a completely different style of sprite:

Tear it apart guys, and thanks as always for taking the time to critique.

Offline Demon11777

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 8/16

Reply #27 on: August 16, 2010, 08:23:56 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I really like this style vs the old one, but It looked like the back leg was too chubby so I trimmed it a bit and made both the boots smaller. Also i assume the light source is the upper right so I saw no reason for the shaded left shoulder.I tried to keep with the original style
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:33:55 pm by Demon11777 »
Row Row Fight The Powah!

Offline Organ_House

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 8/16

Reply #28 on: August 16, 2010, 08:29:27 pm
His legs are really short in this new version. Also, remember to have thin lines in your sprite.

Added a whole bunch of edits to this, but the main thing is to think about your anti-aliasing and lineweight.

Original on left, edits on right.

Offline Rybar

• Pixels are yummy.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Run-n-gun game sprites UPDATED 8/17

Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 02:33:37 am
Thanks for the edits guys. I took a few of them into consideration, namely the fat leg and thinning out the selout in a few places, and the incorrect shading on the back/left arm.  I like where the way his head was originally, even if the ear placement wasn't anatomically correct.  Did a 1st run on his idle anim, working on run cycle tonight.

EDIT: Avoiding the dreaded run cycle tonight, got a firing anim done though:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:03:00 am by Rybar »