AuthorTopic: [WIP] Retro sci-fi computer thing  (Read 6269 times)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

[WIP] Retro sci-fi computer thing

on: June 15, 2010, 12:02:03 am
I originally made this as a 3D model some time back. I liked the idea but thought the result kinda sucked, seemed I could never get the lighting right. But now that I'm having such fun doing pixel stuff I thought I'd see if this would look any better pixelled. Turns out it does. Well I think so anyway. Almost makes me wonder why I've faffed about with 3D for so long ::)

And here's the 3D I used as reference, downscaled and hideous. I might post a better render of it later.

Crits on the pixelled version welcome!

Offline colinsick

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Retro sci-fi computer thing

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:51:55 am
The monitors need a sheen to them, a little gloss or reflection to give them roundness. Flat-shaded, they stand out.

And, not a pixel crit but more structural, I would expect the space above the three monitors to be protruding, like an old school arcade cabinet. I would bring it out and down, obeying the perspective, and add a little shadowing underneath.

It actually looks a lot like something I've pixelled before, only better. I like blinky things.
<3 Montreal.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:43:48 am

Just letting you know that curvature of old monitors is possible with just the colors you're using.

Also don't be afraid to put in some more shine.

Otherwise I love the mood and it's well done pixelly-wise!

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:30:27 pm
Ok small update; I brought the top monitors out some and added a blu-ish shine to some edges. Thanks for the tips guys :y:

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:13:53 pm

Another update. I originally planned to add colours as I needed them, but after seeing Helm's nifty re-use of colours I decided to go ape with colour-conserving and dithering instead :crazy: People might notice the piece looks a bit starker now, and the eagle-eyed among you can probably also tell it has less colours than before. I'm going to try and keep it at 16 colours and play around with the palette to make room for new hues as I add more stuff.

Offline WM

• cubist
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 04:33:21 pm
I love the addition  :)

My only concern is how the top two cabinets do not follow the cylindrical perspective of the others below them, and make the cylinder shape of the new addition appear flat. Shouldnt they mimic the bottommost cabinets, only vertically flipped, or is there some other kind of construction going on that I'm failing to see?