AuthorTopic: [WIP] Robots TD Game  (Read 2753 times)

Offline HC_Bret_Measor

• View Profile

[WIP] Robots TD Game

on: June 11, 2010, 10:49:05 am
Hey Everyone.
I decided to work on a private game for a new client just to help me grow as an artist. (I really love this stuff) Anyways, there is no concept for the game other then "Tower D" so I decided to do robots and towers based on the Dodonpachi style (I got the idea from seeing a contest here). So after being inspired I did two styles, the piece on the right is a cartoon look for a tower and the image on the left is the Dodonpachi inspired tower.

The only downside to the image on the left is functionality since the game is 100% top down view. SO what I plan on doing (after c&C) is convert the style to a top down look. I plan on working on this a lot cause I personally want to take my art to another level.

Once again all comments are welcomed.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Re: [WIP] Robots TD Game

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 11:39:15 pm

I can't say much about the dodon inspired tower mainly because I cant define what it is, looking at it, I dont know if its a topdown view doomlikish bust with thrusters or a spaceship strangely designed. Really disappointing.

As for the cartoon tower I may be overimaginating this but It reminds me a double toaster with feets (???) I also cant "read" the lightsource on this one.

Sorry but It's really confusing...

Offline xiphirx

• herp
    • View Profile
    • For The Swarm

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 01:14:14 am
There are two meanings to top-down AFAIK, GTA 2 style, and Zelda/RPG styles. I think you're going for GTA 2 style.

I agree, its really confusing. You may want to add more shadowing to the one on the left. At first, I thought the one on the right was a side view because of the bottom (thrusters?). There is not enough shadowing on this (the right one) as well.

You should think about the type of genre this tower defense game will fall under. So far it seems like the futuristic genre. Try adding things that glow, and very intricate circuitry.
I whip my hair back n forth

Offline Bieber boy

• Freelancer
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:23:27 am
I think in your left picture the guns look like thrusters. It looks more like a spaceship. I'd try to make it more into a tower. I guess this wouldn't make much of a difference from a top view, though. The left one definitely has a futuristic dodanpachi look, so you did a good job portraying that. Just the overall feel seems more like a spaceship. It being placed in a tower defense game with top view would probably fix that though.

Overall it's just a little confusing/awkward, but a good start.

I think you should make the left one from a top view so we can see what that looks like.
God made everything out of nothing, but everything still shows through.
-Bieber boy