AuthorTopic: [WIP] Clouds  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

[WIP] Clouds

on: June 09, 2010, 03:58:03 am
I have a basic outline for my clouds and color schemes and a layout design. I'm having trouble making them look like clouds. I think My problem is I don't know how to work in larger areas. Can anyone give me some tips on making these clouds look better?

P.S. Ignore the random pixels just to the right of the dark cloud and to the left of the lightest one.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Clouds

Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:26:47 am
I'd say something about the cloud outline, but seriously

1. your image is destroyed beyond all recognition. It's been jpeg'd before it was saved again as png, and now it's beyond repair. Find an earlier version without artifacts.

2. Look up some reference <3 I'd wish to help more but this is uncrittable while it's broken. Or, maybe not, but it just doesn't feel right ; _ ;
' _ '

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:29:05 am
Honestly, try to make clouds in a smaller iamge, it'll be easier to master it, then you can try making large images.

A nice example was posted for clouds recently in a topic, I though I'd share it with you.

one of your biggest reoccurring mistakes is you always put big, solid, amorphous blobs in the sky- and no, that is not the same as a cloud.
My edit is extremely unrefined and not particularly great- but the purpose is to show that clouds converge together and are usually more of a mass than singular objects, especially during a storm. They taper into nothingness often and display a variety of hard and soft edges and are much more 3-dimensional than you represent them.

Offline Ichigo Jam

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 11:10:39 am
Pixel Muffin - you seem to have posted the thumbnail instead of the main image: I think you meant http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7885/backdrop.png instead of http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7885/backdrop.th.png (Note the extra ".th" in the name of the thumbnail image)

Like this:

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 02:49:56 pm
Thanks Ichigo, That was my mistake.
I made the smaller one below before I made the bigger one. So I suppose before we get to the bigger one, hows the smaller one looking?