AuthorTopic: Adventure Time cast  (Read 10351 times)

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Adventure Time cast

on: June 06, 2010, 04:09:15 pm

Offline wwiggins

• View Profile
    • wileywiggins.com

Re: Adventure Time cast

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:53:30 pm
Great character design! I'd love to see these animated.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:17:09 pm
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:05 pm
Great character design! I'd love to see these animated.

haha yeah, they are copyright Pen Ward and Cartoon Network.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 07:15:14 am
These are filled with a lot of wonk, actually. It's obvious that your skills in actual drawing are solid, so you should indulge a bit in the nature of the pixel cluster. Check out helm's ramblethread, cause I don't really have the time to edit of give good crits, but I'd like to! ' U ';;,

Anyways, this looks nice, but it could look a lot nicer @ n @;, I'll see what I can do later, ok?
' _ '

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 09:32:11 am
The #1 thing that would need improvement is the hair. In almost every of your character, it looks creamy or blobby (for lack of a better term), undistinguishable from cloth, lacking to convey the idea of lightness. I'd also avoid the use of pure dark in hero's mouth or horse's eyes, personnally.

I also spot a perspective difference between the face and the head of your characters.
<-- an edit attempting to address that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 10:21:35 am by PypeBros »

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 06:16:04 am
These are filled with a lot of wonk, actually. It's obvious that your skills in actual drawing are solid, so you should indulge a bit in the nature of the pixel cluster. Check out helm's ramblethread, cause I don't really have the time to edit of give good crits, but I'd like to! ' U ';;,

Anyways, this looks nice, but it could look a lot nicer @ n @;, I'll see what I can do later, ok?

I'll check out the thread. I will also eagerly await your help later!

The #1 thing that would need improvement is the hair. In almost every of your character, it looks creamy or blobby (for lack of a better term), undistinguishable from cloth, lacking to convey the idea of lightness. I'd also avoid the use of pure dark in hero's mouth or horse's eyes, personnally.

I also spot a perspective difference between the face and the head of your characters.
<-- an edit attempting to address that.

could you explain more about the hair?

also thanks for the edit. it helped.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 11:46:38 am
could you explain more about the hair?
I'm afraid I'm way better at looking at hairs than at drawing or pixel'ing them. I'll give a try, anyway.

Hair must flow, and it occupies more room than it "fills". That means sometimes you see it from one side, and sometimes you see it from the other side. That's something pretty well rendered on Wilma above by using close strokes when the hair is "brushed up" at the forehead and long, more spaced strokes when the hair "gently flows down" near shoulders.

Hair isn't regular, so it'll make shadow against itself. You instead (taking the pink princess as an example) have a single shape with multiple levels of shading.

HTH. I'm unable to provide you with an edit of the princess right now, unfortunately.

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 07:50:51 pm
I think I understand what you mean. I'll try to update new versions of the sprites soon.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 07:13:24 am
I gave the princess a try, but I'm not satisfied. Clearly, I'm not skilled enough to guide you here, at that resolution and with that head style.

Hopefully, I can point you to the Minishcap Figurine list, which should have roughly similar size and that were pretty good on hair rendering, while keeping varied styles.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:16:09 am by PypeBros »