AuthorTopic: [wip] Small game, "Crippled"  (Read 18079 times)

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

[wip] Small game, "Crippled"

on: June 02, 2010, 05:45:31 am
Hello!

To take a break from my open source project, I have decided to work on a small game (for real this time). In this game, you are trying to keep a dying tree alive during winter and then throughout the spring, summer, and fall. I have yet to draw the tree, but I have background and tiles. I am trying to keep realistic this time. And trying to keep a light source from the top to hopefully make shading easier. I would like help on everything but mostly the background. I am pretty sure my science is wrong, once you get 'above the clouds', there shouldn't be any more clouds up there. And Maple trees generally don't grow in this altitude either. Eh, oh well, I can take a little liberties with a game can't I?

Night

Cloudy Winter Day

Green Grass

I don't believe I've shown these tiles here before. They are from a holloween compo game I made last year I think. I entend to have the clouds scroll. And a fog roll in occasionally. Yet more science gone wrong. Anyways.

CnC please?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 03:07:00 am by xhunterko »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Small "god" game, "Crippled"

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 07:18:38 am

one of your biggest reoccurring mistakes is you always put big, solid, amorphous blobs in the sky- and no, that is not the same as a cloud.
My edit is extremely unrefined and not particularly great- but the purpose is to show that clouds converge together and are usually more of a mass than singular objects, especially during a storm. They taper into nothingness often and display a variety of hard and soft edges and are much more 3-dimensional than you represent them.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:36:46 am
Thanks ryanmu!

Tree:

Ref:
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9548/16gazoumt8.jpg

Hopefully, people will be caring too much about keeping the tree alive then caring about how ugly it looks.

Back to clouds now.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 10:35:50 pm
I could make a game with these:

I'll go work on the leaves and ants and let you guys work on this. If you don't mind.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:56:26 am
Added background grass just now. The grass will eventually get up to the height of at least, half way up to the second branch. Grass attracts insects. Insects attract birds. Birds cause flowers to grow. Flowers bring bees. Bees pollinate the other plants. So eventually, you'll have a good little mountain garden going. Just watch out for the carpenter ants! They'll rip the tree to shreds in no time!

What do you think?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:15:53 pm
You didn't address the issue with the clouds at all, look you're still struggling with fundamentals in art, after months, I don't know how but you really have to get a grip on it. To be blunt, the sky doesn't work that way, clouds don't work that way, trees don't work that way, grass doesn't work that way. You need to start looking at images for reference, you should probably be drawing lots of still life and you should probably pick up some beginner art books.

I mean unless you don't care to improve at all, which is fine, you can do what you want, but I haven't seen any improvement from you at all ever since you started posting here, perhaps barely, if you want to be successful you should put the pixels down and start working on improving your artistic ability. I feel like a broken record at this point though, I've said this at least twice and I'm sure others have said similar things to you, this is after-all a critique board, a fairly serious one at that, how can we help you if you don't really get what we're trying to tell you(not to say you can't understand what we mean, its just... you're trying to spell words without knowing the alphabet if that makes sense)? If you don't want to be serious with art and just want to have fun with everything, this really isn't the board to post your work, I'm not saying you can't, I'm just saying maybe this place isn't exactly fit for you (if you don't intend on improving).

I'm not trying to be hurtful, understand, I'm just trying to be honest with you, I personally want you to improve, I'm sure most of us do, I just haven't seen you improve and you keep making the same fundamental mistakes with all your work. Really though, don't take this as a hurtful message, I did not intend it to be, I apologize if you did.

Offline xhunterko

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:02:50 am
"You didn't address the issue with the clouds at all, look you're still struggling with fundamentals in art"

Sorry, it won't happen again. Now someone lock this thread and ban me for a year before I insult bengoshia and get in another fight. When you start with off with that, I'm sorry but I don't read anything else you say.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:33 am
If you have the ability to write that post, you obviously have the ability to restrain yourself from flaming someone. Bengoshia isn't an individual that has mastered the art of sugar coating, but what he said is valid. For the record, your updated clouds ARE in fact much better than the previous ones in my opinion, but you took them in a stylistic route where you didn't have to display any knowledge of their actual form. Do not say sorry as if you have broken a law- but instead use others advice to benefit your art; because that is what this forum is for. If you would go on to read Bengoshia's post it is full of good advice, and he even apologized for any accidental offense his post may have brought.

Offline colinsick

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:53:26 am
The clouds look decent. If they move along slowly with parallax scrolling, they won't look half bad. The cross section of the soil needs work. Simply googling "cross section soil" comes up with plenty of visual references I'd personally use to draw inspiration from.

I actually think you should ditch pixel art for this concept. If everything is dynamically growing and organic, you should go with something computer generated - like this:
http://www.flashandmath.com/flashcs4/seuss/SeussianTwists.html
You can easily visualize how this technique could be used for your growing branches, roots, and grass.
<3 Montreal.

Offline gennoveus

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 04:08:13 am
Hi xhunterko!

Quote from: Les Brown
You cannot expect to achieve new goals or move beyond your present circumstances unless you change.

These people are being curel to be kind, I think. If anyone says something to you that you don't like, regardless of whether they said it for your own benefit or just to be nasty, don't get angry. If what they say isn't true, then just shrug it off. If you know that it is true, use that critisicm as a tool to improve yourself.

This is just my opinion, but what bengoshia said wasn't fuelled by some hate for you; he said it because he is passionate about this hobby and he wants others to improve as well (including you). The best way to improve is to reflect on yourself in a critical and objective way. If you get emotional about critisicm about your work, and choose to block it out, you are also blocking the path to progress!

I just posted some new stuff over of pixeljoint (I'm a noob too!) and got loads of critisicm. But I wish I got more! Really! Every failure is a chance to improve. Many people on the forum noticed things in my picture that I didn't, and I thank them for that.

I don't know, I think I'm ranting a little bit here, but what I'm trying to say is that you should keep trying, but maybe you should change your learning process to take into account what other people have to say, even if it is not always a friendly compliment. Then you'll be sure to improve!  ;D