AuthorTopic: Tips on a certain sprite, mostly shoes please. :)  (Read 5828 times)

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Tips on a certain sprite, mostly shoes please. :)

on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:19 am
There is a contest going on DA, Fantasy Earth Zero, so for the fun of it I did a depiction of the character #5 the other day.

Apologies for the 1x - 2x since I'm linking to this picture straight from my DA account gallery.

And the deviation link here: http://antifarea.deviantart.com/art/FEZ-Character-5-Alt-sprite-165343001?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Aantifarea&qo=0

I know I messed up past the knees :\ Trying to get her to have sorta shiny white heels. Any tips? and on any other nasty stuff you can find hahaha.

Thanks in advance. Edits are welcome.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 12:18:29 am by Antifarea »

Offline Vermolius

• View Profile

Re: Tips on a certain sprite, mostly shoes please. :)

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 02:37:03 am
The posture seems a bit strange. The head and shoulder is turned what appears to be 45 degrees to the right but the torso doesn't follow, it looks strange, especially with the right leg being turned inward. The left shoulder is a bit strange, it looks more out to the side than forward. The boobage looks a bit lop-sided with the right breast being quite a bit larger than the left, too. I imagine that the left breast should be closer to the viewer than the right due to the upper body posture. Finally, the cape covering the left arm shows no sign of there being a left arm at all, if there isn't that's fine, but if there is I would think there might be a ruffle or something there to show that it exists. Of course, I'm pretty new to pixel art, so bear that in mind.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 04:58:51 pm
I agree with Vermoilus that the pose is awkward.

The proportions are off.  The torso is too long and the legs are too short.  To make up for the pixels used in the oversized head, either shrink the torso (keeping the legs proportionate to the entire figure size) or scale the entire body down (keeping legs and torso proportionate to each other). 

Scarf, hood, or cape, choose one and discard the other two.  You can get away with two out of the three if one of them is small or out of the way (like an off the shoulder half-cape).   Otherwise you have a crazy amount of cloth piling up across the shoulders of this figure.

There is something a little strange about the colors.  I think the problem is having two very darks and only one mid tone per color, but I'm not sure.  Maybe it's the saturation or skin tones.  Not sure, but something is off.

Good luck with the contest!
Tourist

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:52:54 pm
Thanks Vermoilus and Tourist. I will work some more on this sprite when I get home.

Offline colinsick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 12:38:45 am
The proportions are off.  The torso is too long and the legs are too short.  To make up for the pixels used in the oversized head, either shrink the torso (keeping the legs proportionate to the entire figure size) or scale the entire body down (keeping legs and torso proportionate to each other).

That's what hit me when I first saw the sprite. Porportion off. Torso need shortening. Legs need elongating. Boobs need boobulating. I do like the shading and colours you've used though.
<3 Montreal.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:45 am
Colinsick = Thanks.

Anyways, here's another update, fixed some stuff... need critique on the left hand / arm, and anything else you can find.

Offline Anarkhya

• View Profile
    • Hello, this is what I do

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35:28 am
left arm:
The wrist seems too luminous, as if it doesnt match the forearm lighting.
The fist doesnt look like a fist, IMO. maybe a matter of position and lighting.

Legs and feets:
Legs seem to be drawn from another angle than the body.
Calves are much thiner than the thigs.
Feets are too long.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 12:11:17 pm
The primary problem I have is with the face. This edit may be irrelevant if it isn't the style you're going for, but either way I suggest redoing it. It's first of all too small compared to the head and body, especially in this anime style. The second problem seems to be that the shading occurs on a space by space basis, not thought of in terms of the whole object.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:16:37 pm
I liked the first one you did the best. The stance looked the most active, the staff just didn't fit. I'd move the staff closer to the body a bit.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:56:59 pm
The new version is better in some ways, worse in others.

The first version used round shapes and curves for most of the figure (hood, shoulder, shoes, and so on) with a cape and staff forming straight lines framing the figure.  The new parts on the latest version are sharp triangles (legs, shoes).  I'm not sure that the triangle shapes work very well.

You made the legs longer, which is nice, but I think the proportions are still off.  The scarf is part of the problem.  It's like you drew a nice big head, then a nice big scarf to go with it, and then started the torso where the scarf ends instead of under the scarf where it should start.   

The short version of the long ramble below is that the anatomy is a weak point.  There are a lot of anatomy and drawing references on the web or at your local library that would help more than critique here. 
-----------------

1) Starting all the way to the right, where the white scale is.  Head to groin vs groin to floor. I recommend trying to make these close to equal.    Really crush the torso down, or lengthen the legs, or both.

2) The head (red scale upper left).  NaCl is right about this. 

3) Overlong neck.  That neck is long.  Hidden by the scarf, but it needs to be a bit shorter.  Or raise the line of the shoulders.

4)  The new arm doesn't appear to be attached to the shoulder, it's kind of floating there.  Or maybe growing into the rib cage.

5) The shoulders are 3/4 view, the hips and belt seem almost straight at the viewer, the legs are shifted off to the side.  It's just inconsistent.  Maybe sketch the skeleton first to get the parts angled the way you'd like.

6) Anarkhya covered the legs and feet.  Also, the thighs are too short. 

7) I don't understand the shadows on the legs.  The rips in the leggings, ok.  The dark shadows, not so good.  Makes the thighs look blobby.

I did an edit based on the original, but did not post it earlier because it's poorly done.  I'm no good at anime heads, the pose is weak, and it's incomplete.  But maybe it will help some:

You can squeeze the torso down quite a bit and get away with it.  Chin to groin is 5-6 pixels shorter than the original, and the legs are a lot longer.  The white stripe on the leg isn't decoration, I drew the bones and then drew the new leg around it.  Other than those two features, ignore the edit because it's not very good.

Hope this helps,
Tourist