AuthorTopic: another - small image dump.  (Read 13146 times)

sonic_reaper

Re: another - small image dump.

Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 02:38:05 am
One thing I think a lot of the guys on this forum seem to forget is that the reason the sprites are pillowshaded is because in an actual game it'd greatly increase the number of sprites required to keep a consistent lightsource, from a production standpoint pillowshading makes a lot more sense...

Unfortunately in of itself this post makes no sense.  Pillowshading isn't even real shading since there's no defined lightsource.  A lightsource should be selected before any graphics progress is made in a 2D game and it should always be consistent.  For example, the simplest is top-down.  I don't see how you'd run into any problems if you went with a top down light source.

I don't have any problem with the shading of the pieces in question.  They look quite edible actually.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 03:14:14 am
I'm not really wise on the types of pallates for game systems, but is that a basic or most often used 16 color pallate? I've always wanted to use these types of pallate restrictions but I didn't really know where to get a basic 16 color pallate that games would use.

These peices are wonderful with the color restriction. Well done!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 03:45:53 am
Pallate? Palette?

reydragk, what you said is wrong (for the reasons reaper explains), and it's good that there's a forum such as this that can at least basically present the case that pillowshading is bad across the board, unlike that sonic stadium whatever community I was linked to a while back, where there's actually a PILLOWSHADING TUTORIAL of all things. And also, ADVANCED PILLOWSHADING for when you know, you're not making art wrong enough.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 05:50:29 am
And also, ADVANCED PILLOWSHADING for when you know, you're not making art wrong enough.

Hahaha Amazing. You're now my hero. But on to the actual artwork...

Maybe I'm not looking closely enough, but aside from the stars at the end, I'm not seeing a whole lot of pillowing going on here.
Anyway, I like these. I think they show really impressive versatility considering it's not only a 16 colour pallette, but also that there're only 2 shades of each colour, and there must be well over a hundred little guys on this sheet.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 06:32:31 am
XD i too wish you were joking. i think just by looking at those i died a little inside

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 06:35:51 am
oh man.. thats awesome helm :o
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 08:53:08 am
Thanks for the comments peeps...

I hoenstly think that this business about 'pillow shading' is a little obsessive though... surely, it's a style choice in some instances?! - sure agreed, it ain't the most asthetically of pleasing for the most part, but, design wise it can be used effectively. Take those stars for instance - you're not actually seeing them as they were meant to be seen in game...

here...
take a look... (Super bonus, to give you additional powers... how to make them more 'spangly'- color cycle them!)
and these too... (placed UNDER the player sprite to indicate invincibility)

these wouldn't work of they weren't 'pillow shaded' - so as a technique, it does have its uses... 

One thing I think a lot of the guys on this forum seem to forget is that the reason the sprites are pillowshaded is because in an actual game it'd greatly increase the number of sprites required to keep a consistent lightsource, from a production standpoint pillowshading makes a lot more sense...

That ain't quite true reydragk, - Pillowshading, Lightsource? Neither of these bear no relevance to me when I'm knocking out sprites... I've never insisted the lightsource remain consistent in the games I've been involved with... it can't be... not in 2d sprite based games at any rate... this is an obsessive thing you guys get all flustered about... not that there's anything wrong with if you're created one off pieces of work... but making a game with all those sprites, and background tiles etc etc... is time consuming enough with havgin to worry to much about shading it "correctly"... (note the inverted commas) 

Having said that consistency IS important though... in most games one has to limit the amount of graphics one makes because of space limitations (on the cartridge for example) - or time restrictions (reduce frames, colors etc to get all the work done in time) - and here's the BIGGY - the one that makes me not overaly concerend abou tthe consistency of the light source is .... drum roll... THE X-FLIP!! - that's to say that all animations would be created facing in one direction only (if it's side on view), sure, we'd keep the lightsource consistent, (I normally put it top right, with my characters facing right) - and then x-flipped... so what happens then...? - all the shadows flip too (obviously) - "his gun's just swapped to his left hand" - " his eyepatch has swapped sides" (Sagat) - yes the x-flip... that's what saves time... no point in developing sprites in both directions, with 'correct shading' when you've a game to get out in 3 weeks...

I'm sure most of you know this? and I can hear you say...well put the shadow directly above the player.... yack... not nice... sometimes asthetics takes precedence over 'reality'
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 09:28:46 am by baccaman21 »
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

sonic_reaper

Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 08:54:48 am
surely, it's a style choice in some instances?!

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS  >:(

Animation's a whole nother monster -- as are "effects".  Classifying "pillow-shading" as a "stylistic" choice means you either can't shade, you don't want to learn, or you're retarded.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2006, 09:24:06 am by sonic_reaper »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 09:20:45 am
XD, i agree with said post :D ;D