AuthorTopic: another - small image dump.  (Read 13142 times)

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

another - small image dump.

on: March 29, 2006, 04:32:17 pm
Along similar lines to pawiges thread... (I've actually moved this from there for reasons of bad form... so oops... and soz)

...some bonus pickups from a game I made in the early 90's called "Sgt Seymour: Robotcop"

some of these are rather english in their origins - like the road signs for instance, or the sweets/candy... it was a good excercise in using 16 colors... that's for everything...!

Enjoy... :)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: another - small image dump.

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 07:18:44 pm
It's clear that you made those back in the 90's, hehe. Not to sound offending, but critic would be the strange shading (pillow-ish) and the werid highlights on some pieces. Perhaps a good exercise to edit them into the new millenium?
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:35:30 pm
For made in 90's the looks is very good, and after view the works of baccaman i sure he can increase the quality of this  ;D

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:37:30 am
For made in 90's the looks is very good, and after view the works of baccaman i sure he can increase the quality of this  ;D
thanks... I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not - I guess it is :D

It's clear that you made those back in the 90's, hehe. Not to sound offending, but critic would be the strange shading (pillow-ish) and the werid highlights on some pieces. Perhaps a good exercise to edit them into the new millenium?

Hey no offense taken... ;) - I think the thing you gotta bear in mind is that we had 16 colors to make the entire game sprites in (can't remember about the bg's - someone remind me of the amiga pallette limitations please)... if I were to edit them for 'the new millenium' i'd probably go for mulitple 16 colour pallettes as we have the option for that these days, or alternatively knock the whole lot into 256 colors. but then... where's the challenge in that?... and besides - I'm not going to... so ner!

You guys have it sooo easy these days... what I'd have given for 256 colors and or mulitple sprite pallettes... cool graphic editors... the INTERNET with forums to chat about your work with peers... would have made life sooo much easier. I reckon I should set you a challenge to have a go at some real limited pallette stuff... say like we had on the spectrum... 2 colors only per 8x8 pixel square... with a choice of 8 colors... like say some old loading screens or summat... yum! (now I AM sounding old!) lol

(pretty shit by todays standards...addmittedly but hey... 2 colors per character square!)
(I just did the logo on this one - the main image was a chap called Chris Graham - lord alone knows what he's upto now?)

As far as 'pillow shading' is concerend... well that term never existed in my day (god I sound old) lol... but you're right I suppose... again, in my defense, this was made in super quick turnaround - where we'd be bashing games out rapidly, 2 months... maybe 3... whilst also working on mulitiple projects across mulitple platforms. Hey ho.

now where did I put me pipe and slippers... ?

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 01:36:30 pm
what? no marmite bonus pickup  ???
looks great, 16 colors is pretty impressive for all those items.

the spectrum stuff looks really good as well, specially with all those limitations.
...to be honest, i think developing for the GBA, can be quite difficult at times, but then again.. im probably just spolied working on javagames, where colorcount doesn't really matter.

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 01:41:04 pm
could you post your pallate please
Nixel Art

Offline Sdw

• View Profile
    • SDW Developments

Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 02:19:33 pm
(can't remember about the bg's - someone remind me of the amiga pallette limitations please)...

Amigas (or atleast the good old pre-AGA OCS/ECS Amigas like A500) had 32 color palette (64 if you ran in halfbrite mode, or two separate 16-color palette if you ran dual-playfield). I can't recall how hardware sprites worked, I think you had only 8 or 16 colors, but they were not used all that much, most objects in games were BOBs (Blitter Objects) where you actually wrote data to the same bitplanes as the background is. Anway, so for most games you had a 32 color palette, shared between background and movable objects.

Offline baccaman21

• View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 03:02:00 pm
(can't remember about the bg's - someone remind me of the amiga pallette limitations please)...

Amigas (or atleast the good old pre-AGA OCS/ECS Amigas like A500) had 32 color palette (64 if you ran in halfbrite mode, or two separate 16-color palette if you ran dual-playfield). I can't recall how hardware sprites worked, I think you had only 8 or 16 colors, but they were not used all that much, most objects in games were BOBs (Blitter Objects) where you actually wrote data to the same bitplanes as the background is. Anway, so for most games you had a 32 color palette, shared between background and movable objects.
ah ha... thnx for that... I knew it was something along those lines... ta ! :)

could you post your pallate please
I've added it to the image in the original post... :)

what? no marmite bonus pickup  ???
looks great, 16 colors is pretty impressive for all those items.

the spectrum stuff looks really good as well, specially with all those limitations.
...to be honest, i think developing for the GBA, can be quite difficult at times, but then again.. im probably just spolied working on javagames, where colorcount doesn't really matter.
No sooner said than done kenneth... (added to original post (see above))

Cheers for the compliment on the old speccy art... may I return that compliment by commenting on your work - superb stuff I may say... love the kid icarus stuff, (one of the guys at my last place did a DS kid icarus design that really rather nice...)  was gonna get in touch with glu at some point soon about freelance work - but it seems I've just landed a new role (today in fact) having been out of work for 5 months... Very pleased... on next gen console... looks like I'm gonna have to dust down my 3D overalls... boooo hisss... which also means I'm gonna be frequenting this place a little less often... shame, just as I was starting to get the feel of the place.

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 07:46:15 pm
make tutorials!!!! lol. i like the sign posts best :P
Nixel Art

Offline reydragk

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 12:20:15 am
One thing I think a lot of the guys on this forum seem to forget is that the reason the sprites are pillowshaded is because in an actual game it'd greatly increase the number of sprites required to keep a consistent lightsource, from a production standpoint pillowshading makes a lot more sense...