AuthorTopic: [C + C] Ice Giant from Skeleton Lords  (Read 2530 times)

Offline theorb77

• View Profile

[C + C] Ice Giant from Skeleton Lords

on: May 27, 2010, 05:24:00 pm
Hello, I've been lurking the boards for about a month now and decided to post something I did.  It's taken from concept art found here (Look under giants).  I did it with the 16 color option in GraphicsGale, so it's a bit palette-limited; but I wanted to start small.

Here's hoping I get how BBcode works.  Let me know what you think.

theorb77

Offline fleugma

• View Profile
    • twitter

Re: [C + C] Ice Giant from Skeleton Lords

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:42:32 pm
I think you abused dithering in its skin and that kind of killed the feeling of it being ice-y, which wouldn't have happened if you had used "sharper" shape transitions from one color to another. On the other hand, the color hue transition or ramp as I think they call it could be smoother, especially from the first blue (cyan-like) to the second.
Another thing is the white background color which is the same you used for highlights, making them not stand out as much as they should..

Offline Stab

• I'M WILLOWS!
    • View Profile

Re: [C + C] Ice Giant from Skeleton Lords

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:27:17 pm
Arne is fantastic. Arne, if you read this, the amount of work you do and the quality of it all is fantastic.

That said! Theorb77, you're using a -really quick- piece of concept art to flesh out into a full and detailed piece of pixel art. Good. Great! The main thing I'd stress, though, is that it's CONCEPT art, not FULLY THOUGHT OUT, CLEAN, AND FINISHED art... which means nothing is set in stone*, and there may be errors, or things that could be improved, in the concept art.

Most notably, the tangent lines that cause the hammerhead to be confused with a foot. What should you do? Whatever you want! Realise the problem, and fix it!

Unfortunately, I've got to go, otherwise I'd carry on typing.

*WARNING: If you're working professionally with someone, and they give you a piece of concept art, don't deviate from it unless they tell you to.