AuthorTopic: GR#024 - Demon - Anatomy  (Read 13597 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

GR#024 - Demon - Anatomy

on: May 24, 2010, 09:26:09 pm
I posted this thread this morning and it seems the boards simultaneously crashed when i submitted the thread.

I had worked on a piece recently and I wanted to post progress pieces here. Just to preface it, theres some anatomy issues happening, the whip is a bit weird the way its being held and some other details that i can spot, but i wanted to get it done, i was excited to do so, and i went with things. (thats my rather quick summation of the more elaborate explanation i typed previously

initial stages sketched up and blocked out in photoshop, pixel detail followed up in paintshop pro.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Demon piece progression

Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:26:07 am
What the crap, darn board crashin'. LISTEN my web devonaire friend - Stop using IE and use FF so you can get the wonderful and awesomely Lazurus plugin (free). You will never lose browser typed information ever again. I can vouch for it.

Very attractive colors. Really nice to have a WIP of this. I still wonder why his whip is wrapping around his own wrist, looks like he did it by accident. And just a nitpick fyi, his egg-shaped head bugs me. In fact, I wish his whole body had more of a monstrous lurching humanoid goat-human reverse-knee structure to it, than a typical human.
Why the white bg?

What's your next piece going to be? I have a task for you should be brave enough . . .

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:44:53 am
Holy hell what a sight for sore eyes, I haven't seen pixels this pretty on here for some time, one little thing, since theres a giant blue fire behind him shouldn't some of that light be hitting him? Or did you purposely choose for that not to happen as purely an aesthetic choice?

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:44 am
Mathias - The whip is admittedly a mishap. i thought in concept it would look cool if it was wrapping up his arm and he was sort of holding it somehow. i think its the way it wraps and the limp grip he has on it which make it look more snared than menacing. my previous post explained my discontent but i basically went forward just being excited of the overall image. if i redrew it from scratch that would definitely change. I dont disagree with you about the head but it doesnt bother me, but i feel what youre saying. i like the figure established, but i can see how the head mismatches the rest.  For the last time, yes the white bg is necessary!  :lol:

im very curious what your next suggested challenge would be in earnest.

Bengoshia - thanks man, and to answer you about your lighting question, i thought about this pretty early on in the piece. i decided not to use the blue as an ambient source of light with the piece, and went with warmer colors instead. I think it does something good and something bad. I think it really helped pop the figure off of the background color (as warms will pull forward from cools), but to the expense of making the figure and the flame disjointed in a sense where they dont feel unified, also the lack of coherent lighting here detracts from the 'realism' of being enveloped in flame.

Xiphirx- this was a bit less than 10 hours in total id say.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 04:02:23 am
I was going to try and con you into doing something for the current game we're doing. You know you want to.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 04:26:26 am
I was going to try and con you into doing something for the current game we're doing. You know you want to.

ah you silly goose! check your pm box

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 08:27:59 am
Hi st0ven. I really like the demon, however a few points:

Sorry for rough edit.

1. I don't think the whip being tied around the demon's forearm works at all.

2. That area where arm, wing, horn and whip all intersect is a bit of a clusterfuck.

3. The actual gesture of the high arm is the antithesis of intimidating. I'm not sure the 'invisible oranges' gesture I edited in a good enough change but it might give you a few ideas.

4. Any particular reason for no genitals? If it's a matter of being inoffensive, I'd give him some clothing or ornamental armor or something *edit = or even just some hellsmoke in front of his crotch, anything.

5. The whole pose looks a bit like a rockstar holding a microphone, is this intentional? If not you could amend it a lot just by changing the grip hand's gesture on the whip.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:29:58 am by Helm »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 08:52:59 am
Helm I can't see your edit. :'(

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 09:05:58 am
My server is undergoing maintenance. Here's an imageschack mirror.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 11:57:34 am
First off, I love the quality of pixel work put in to this. It's truly exceptional.

What it suffers from, to me, is an awkward composition/pose that doesn't give the figure any feeling of motion or life. If someone has a whip flipping around in that way, I feel like they should be just as animated.

Forgive my butchering of your pixels :sry:

Shifted a whole bunch of things around to emphasise a direction of movement with repeating angles and curves. I would have liked to recede the foot in to the mist but I have no idea how!  :lol:

Get that figure swooshing!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 12:01:20 pm by EyeCraft »