AuthorTopic: GR#023 - Hud/Tileset  (Read 12959 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: RPG HUD/Tileset fun

Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:51:30 pm
New well version is cool. More organic/natural now. Color dissemination is good.

*edit   Gil will be along shortly to disagree with me.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 12:37:05 am by Mathias »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 07:58:34 am
Mathias, you are paranoid. But I like it when you guys disagree. It's turning into a trademark of sorts. Err. No, my wording is craps

Dusty, a way to blend between rock colors might be to dither slightly. I know that your current style is very non-dithery, but dithering between colors of the same value and saturation but different hue might give satisfying results.

Man, I love extremely-low-contrast dithering * 3 *
' _ '

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 12:01:25 pm
New well looks swell :3

And jad, I believe the word you are looking for is gimmick.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:05 pm
New well version is cool. More organic/natural now. Color dissemination is good.

*edit   Gil will be along shortly to disagree with me.

No, I think I'll agree here. It's looking better now. I had a go with the regular rocks, but the hues don't really mix that well without the whole thing looking like paint was thrown around. When level designing (or making a mockup or whatever), be careful not to throw all sorts of different colored rocks together. Try to cluster them a bit per color.

I'm really liking this project btw, good AAing on everything. Remember that big grassy fields tend to look bad in any game. That's not because your grass tile fails (it's beautiful), but because it looks unreal to have that much grass. Try studying the amount of grass tiles used in the great games and you'll notice they break it up with lots of dirt patches, trees, etc. You don't want the grass to overpower everything else.