AuthorTopic: Dithering-ing  (Read 3461 times)

Offline MW360

• View Profile

Dithering-ing

on: May 23, 2010, 01:23:11 pm

(Snake after you give him a hair cut.)

Really new to dithering, but im hooked. Besides it being awesome I've ran into a few problems with this piece. First, I can't figure out how to make the column look rounded with this shading technique. Second, I can't figure out the colors to make the base of the column stick out more. Third, I can't get the snake to really pop out at ya. If anyone can give me a few pointers that would be awesome.
Peace,
MW360

Offline onek

• View Profile

Re: Dithering-ing

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:17:53 pm
i think u need more contrast to make it look rounder....and making things stick/pop out can be done with shading....

also... i think ur attempt of dithering here is pointless, for example the highlight on the column uses two unique greys in a checkerboard pattern, why not just take only one 'inbetween' grey instead?... also dithering is only needed if u have a rly limited palette to work with... actually ur using 57 (!) colors here (no idea how that could have happened Oo) so i think u could pretty much go without any dithering at all
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 02:45:01 am by onek »

Offline MW360

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 11:54:51 pm
Would you recommend the bottom of the column being flat instead of rounded??? Thanks for your input btw.

Offline Lizzrd

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:10 am
That would make it better yeah.
Photocopier: the fact that arne can also code so well
Photocopier: is horrificly unfair

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:16:41 am
I don't think dithering is your biggest problem here, you should work on the actual shape of column and making sure you know where your light source is, I think it would help if you looked up some reference and had it help you out, dithering is something you do last on whatever you're making, at least how I see it anyway, you want to lay down and ensure the initial shape is good and then ensure the shadows are laid out and general color is there and then you dither and clean up.

Offline MW360

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:02:16 pm

Updated! [WIP]
I decided to make it just a snake statue for right now, so I can just sprite it later. Maybe it'll turn stone when you are facing it and when you have your back to it, it turns back to green and strikes at ya.
You guys were right the flat base does give it a nice look. THANKS!
Light source is going to be the top-right.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 09:12:59 pm by MW360 »