AuthorTopic: wip face  (Read 13160 times)

Offline MadHatter

• im nipples the enchilada
    • View Profile

Re: wip face

Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 11:54:27 am
i think the hat adds more originality to the character
and that blue tentacle coming out from his hair

also
i hate how good you are at shading hair

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 17, 2010, 07:28:11 pm
Even though I don't like that hat, if you don't have it i don't think the blue thing fits in as well. I think the blue hair works better when its cut off by the hat and you can't see the beginning of it.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:50 pm
wait why lose the hat
leave the hat there lolz

looks too generic w/o it

the blue hair thing is weird
its outa place

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:15 pm
yeah, i would definitely keep the hat, just make the rim thing look longer. also, your shading is definitely smoother and nicer than the stuff on chad's, but it loses a lot of the chaotic feel that makes his look so good. idk

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 06:43:57 am
Mathias, I'm glad to see that you're excercising your vocal flexibility and trying new modes of typing on the internets

Shit is an edit

Basically what I want to say is this: Detailed shading-style style needs more construction or he'll look like he's made out of dough. You're avoiding foreshortening and tend to not place things in front of other things, which is why you can see both nostrils which you wouldn't be able to, except if he's asian or something like that, but then the rest of his face needs to reflect that. Also with the shoulders and the neck, they're all drawn so that everything shows, so to say. The chin would probably hide some of the neck and the farther shoulder would be less visible than you've drawn it.

So anyways:

To the left is a guy with more construction, more illusion of a believable 3d shape, etc. Hat is smaller cause I wanted everything to fit together

To the right is a guy with much more stylized features and more swooshy lines (maybe) just to make a point that if you want him to have a huge hat, then maybe you should simplify and stylize and make things more dynamic overall

so he just doesn't look like a super serious guy trying to look all cool with the goofiest hat on earth. Ok, I see the appeal in that too, but then you'd have to aim for a way to convey that too.

I think? That's what I've got
' _ '

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 09:36:43 pm
<3 for Jad  :)

This is a somewhat clunky edit, but here's what I think about the blue bit of hair:

What it's lacking is strands/parts of the rest of the hair coming through, the way you've done it makes it unconnected to everything else.
overall though I'm much enjoying your art :D

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 06:23:17 am
I love Photocopier's edit; I couldn't agree more. I don't know if this is intentional, but the ear looks blatantly comical and out of place.

Also, is it just me or should the eyes be lower?

Offline Jeremy

• howdy
    • pixellerjeremy
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19218.htm
    • pixellerjeremy
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 09:47:29 am
For the nose, less is more. Maybe  ???

I'm ambivalent on the blue thing. May look better if there's something the same colour somewhere else in the pic.