AuthorTopic: Creatures  (Read 14040 times)

sonic_reaper

Re: Creatures

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 10:05:47 pm
I'm inclined to kind of disagree, while the leaf wings could blend into the body to make it a little less disjointed, I really love the look of the creature to the right and I think in its case not too much depth/contrast works.
I think the problem is that it doesnt slot easily into the composition as a whole, mainly because the missile trail has a much higher contrast than anything else.
I think its just a case of despite everything looking lovely individually, something has to change for all the elements to cohere.

The contrast seems to be part of it, yes.  If you look at the Skull/head, it looks like an entirely separate being on another plane w/ regards to the body.  Same thing applies to the wings.  Because the body is so dark, everything sticks out, as if they were pasted onto the body forcefully.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 11:15:02 pm
I tried an edit of the skull creature.  I'd like to see less dithering, it gives unneeded textures.  In the edit, I added another color to the body pallette; A dark blue-purple to make it more 3D and cement it to the canvas a bit.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 11:47:07 pm
skull creature is actually called toothfairy, and the pig thing is called ratfuck.
alexander

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 12:31:14 am
I knew the disconnected leaves was a weak choice when I started doing it. I just couldn't think of any other way to do it. Leaves don't really connect into anything without using a stem and I definitely don't want a stem, so I thought about putting a bud in the middle and having the leaves wrap under it, but the whole bud shooting water might look strange especially because the longer I work on it the less luck I have.

As for the dithering, I just wanted to conserve colors and wanted a smooth transition in places, especially on the skull. The blue on the pig was an afterthought that can easily be changed, but the creature on the right is just not coming out how I'd like.

I rarely have time nowadays with lawschool and al
Holy crap, Krut is going to be The Man.

Anyway, I'll try making another version sometime hopefully addressing the leaves and dithering which a lot of people are noticing.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: March 30, 2006, 05:08:16 am

Progress or setback?

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: March 30, 2006, 05:23:37 am
i definitaly think it blends much better. :)

Offline Kennethfejer

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: March 30, 2006, 01:45:26 pm
really cool!
character design, colors, shading, everything looks great.

i think i like the black outline version better though.

yea like Darion mentioned, lets see some more of these! :D

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: March 30, 2006, 03:12:06 pm
Thats awesome, i really love those fucking colors you used on your palette, freaking awesome guys.
Top notch stuff alex, very nice lineart, it might take an spin if you 2 let me do it, of course :P

Now I wonder if you ever will finish our collab, now that you find them boring.. its been like.. hmm 5 months?

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006, 07:27:47 pm
Thats awesome, i really love those fucking colors you used on your palette, freaking awesome guys.
Top notch stuff alex, very nice lineart, it might take an spin if you 2 let me do it, of course :P

Now I wonder if you ever will finish our collab, now that you find them boring.. its been like.. hmm 5 months?

thanks for the compliment. sure you can take a stab at the lines if you want, David is already toying with them a little too.
alexander

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #19 on: March 30, 2006, 07:48:27 pm
I think the removal of the outline took the enthusiasm away from the beam shooting from his back. It also makes the pig look of a completly different origin (its cool that way, but i'm sure it wasn't intentional). I like the last one better.
@darionmccoy