AuthorTopic: Creatures  (Read 13980 times)

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Creatures

on: March 29, 2006, 09:11:48 am

Alex Marsh created the lineart, but then took it down and I accidentally saved over it. Cleaning of the lines and coloring by me, of course.

The original lines were actually a mockup sort of scene for what looked to be a fighting game, or an RPG of some sort, so I may add more to this like stat bars and a background etc. I'm not too satisfied with some of the colors (especially on the half-skull creature's body) and the form of the end projectile irks me. Critique is always good to see. And comments are nice too.

Shit. It's midnight.

Offline BlackEye

• View Profile
    • blackeye.org

Re: Creatures

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 11:03:05 am
the water/attack thingie looks really perfect to me. excellent shading and highlights.
it's somehow the eyecatcher of the image and because of this the whole dithering on the creatures looks off. especially the dithered blue color on the pig doesn't fit - i guess  it will without dithering...
the skull creature looks to flat shaded. it needs some more depth
i think if you shade everything like the attack effect, it will be perfect
-blackeye-

Offline Chris

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 05:18:56 pm
I rarely have time nowadays with lawschool and all....but today browsing i found this, and it deserved some praise.

Awsome job little ones, im saving this one.

-Krut

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 06:42:03 pm
and you said a collab would be boring....i love the colours, thanks for doing my lines boy. <3
alexander

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 06:49:09 pm
This is so fucking hard. I want to see TONS of these. Get going, you too!

Beautiful job.
@darionmccoy

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 06:49:42 pm
This is so fucking hard. I want to see TONS of these. Get going, you too!

Beautiful job.

I KNOW RIGHT!!!

original lines if people were interested.
alexander

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 07:21:03 pm
suggestion: make the blue light come from the water instead? Perhaps cool, perhaps not.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 07:31:40 pm
i like the image, and like very much the effect of the water(and good colors) :)

i think removing the dithering and with more detail the quality of the image can increase... but well i think is your style  ;)

sonic_reaper

Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 07:40:18 pm
The color choices are excellent and the pig creature itself is well crafted.  However, the other creature does not work at all -- it looks disjointed.  The leaves just seem to however on its back not really connected any which way and the water more or less sprays out of nowhere (same applies to the skull and the backpack -- none of this stuff fits together believably).  It's nice and pretty and all, but the composition on the Rhino creature makes no sense.

Offline neverest

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2006, 08:13:05 pm
I'm inclined to kind of disagree, while the leaf wings could blend into the body to make it a little less disjointed, I really love the look of the creature to the right and I think in its case not too much depth/contrast works.
I think the problem is that it doesnt slot easily into the composition as a whole, mainly because the missile trail has a much higher contrast than anything else.
I think its just a case of despite everything looking lovely individually, something has to change for all the elements to cohere.