AuthorTopic: Mac users  (Read 4401 times)

Offline JaJitsu

• View Profile
    • JaJitsu.com

Mac users

on: May 20, 2010, 06:32:57 am
what programs do you use to to make pixel art with Macs?

I'm kind of lost without graphicsgale. heh.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Mac users

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:47:44 pm
I have never been able to pixel comfortably on my mac, no matter the program--Pixen, Pro Motion via CrossOver, whatever--there's something about it that just doesn't feel right with the mouse.  As though the cursor isn't as precise as I'm used to on a Windows machine.  I can never figure out what it is, exactly, that's wrong.  I fiddle with the mouse settings, buy new mice, but it always feels awkward.  Over the past four years I would now and then try to get back into it but I always give up because it never feels right  :(

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:38:22 pm
I use Photoshop. It's not good with palettes and animation though. Or tile testing. I like mixing and tuning colors in PS though. I pixel with my Tablet, not a mouse.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:48:40 pm
Arne's sentiment is my own exactly.  I love to develop a palette in photoshop, but indexing and animation might be done better in another program.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:00 pm
Im in the same boat as darien. Photoshop doesn't cut it for me. Someone please make promotion and or graphics gale for mac. I don't have any problems with the cursor, its just the unease of programs that aren't specifically made for pixel art.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 01:05:33 pm
Im in the same boat as darien. Photoshop doesn't cut it for me. Someone please make promotion and or graphics gale for mac. I don't have any problems with the cursor, its just the unease of programs that aren't specifically made for pixel art.

Pro Motion works great in wine, through Linux. That's how I pixel. It might also work good with crossover for mac, since I'm pretty sure its based off the same thing. Grafx2 should also have a mac version out, but I can't say how good it works.

Worth a shot anyway.

Offline Jorund

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 01:32:45 pm
Here a guide on how to install Wine on MacOSX (only for Intel Macs): LINK
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 01:42:39 pm by Jorund »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:42:34 pm
That's my whole beef with my own mac - it was one of the last of the batch of PowerPC processor machines before they switched to Intel, and everything I'd ever want to do with the machine has a requirement of it being on the Intel platform.  So now the machine is my photo album.

One thing that could be messing with you to make it feel a little different - even if just a slight bit - is that many newer macs with built-in screens have monitors with 100 ppi resolutions, as opposed to the usually-standard 72. I could be messing with what your eyeballs are used to pixeling on. Not sure if this would affect the smoothness/performance of your cursor.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 09:37:28 pm
Photoshop CS3. I have learned to deal with it.
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.