AuthorTopic: Portfolio ...  (Read 8633 times)

sonic_reaper

Portfolio ...

on: March 29, 2006, 07:17:55 am
I'm just curious, how would I go about creating an online portfolio to showcase my work?  I've never really had one and all the work I get is through word of mouth.  Connections are nice and all, but I think it would be nice to have a solid portfolio to fall back on.  I've talked to many people about what to include, and I've learned a lot about that (a range of themes, still work and animation, mock-ups, best of the best etc);  however, the problem is just setting it all up.

What would I use?  How would I go about getting some space online for this stuff?  That's the kinda stuff I don't really know where to get started on.  Any help is appreciated.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Re: Portfolio ...

Reply #1 on: March 29, 2006, 03:45:22 pm
You could set up an open photobucket account. And seperate different mediums with different albums. I honestly don't see what you need help with.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

sonic_reaper

Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 07:24:48 pm
Is a photobucket account "professional" though?  I know sprite artists who have their own webpages that are very nicely laid out (and thus professional looking).  I fear that having a photobucket account may be looked at as unprofessional by a possible employer?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: March 29, 2006, 07:29:44 pm
Yes. Make a simple, WELL DESIGNED website with no extra fluff. Info about the artist, contact details, a well-maintained, up-to-date and concise portfolio. You can put it on a free-webspace service or whatever, just don't have it show. Popups and ads do NOT belong on a 'folio page, and a small url is a plus.

sonic_reaper

Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 07:33:50 pm
I see ...

Most "free" webservices unforuntately have a cartload of pop-ups and other fiends that more or less classifies them as free.  Should I invest some time and money on actual webspace or is there truly any good web space?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 07:56:31 pm
That's a whole different discussion. I personally don't know. I bought my webspace and domain. Some of the other dudes around here will hook you up, probably.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:51:29 pm
Websites are usually only expensive the first year.  I bought my domain (http://www.couchpixel.com)from GoDaddy, and the first year was about $100.  But it only cost me $9.20 to renew for another year.  It's a good investment only if you a) WANT to get jobs and b) you think that your art is good enough to get jobs (that sounds kind of mean, but unless you think you're going to get good jobs, your website is a negative investment.  Unless you just want to do it for the art, which is perfectly OK.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:54:12 pm by Faktablad »

sonic_reaper

Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 12:11:40 am
Well, for a site that potentially supplies work for the rest of my life (possibly, we'll see what happens after I attend ACAD), I would say it is a worthwhile investment.  I know nothing about web design or coding or anything though, so the site would look like ass and I'm just a pure pixel artist, nothing more.

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons at the moment and see if it's even worth it in the end.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 03:40:05 am
Personally I think you could get work on your current skill-level, provided you are no stranger to working a lot of hours and can be dependable. But you should never stop trying to get better.

sonic_reaper

Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 07:47:50 am
Well I do have a job right doing making pixel art.  The contract is more or less indefinite, so the job will always be there, however the pay could be a little better.  The money is so that I can go to ACAD (the Alberta College of Art and Design) and perhaps get a job in conceptual artwork/design (something I could really see myself doing my whole life).

I guess a portfolio isn't a necessity for me in the least.  But I mean, most working pixel artists at the moment have one.

I have a bad habit of reading really quickly and I sometimes lose meaning;  I interpreted your previous line as saying that I needed to work on my skill level.  Perhaps it wouldn't have hit me as hard if it had not been true, but maybe instead I should take some time out and perhaps just improve my craft.  I was the one always complaining about how unhappy I am with my pixel graphics anyway.