AuthorTopic: Pre-rendered background  (Read 16613 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Pre-rendered background

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 02:21:30 pm
The feels rather down-to-black, which generally sets no mood and makes the scene just look as though it's been darkened.  Try putting in a few more light sources in multiple hues to pull more atmosphere out.  Also I think that your lamp, if that's what I'm seeing, will want to be brighter, composed of at least 2 lights (one quite bright with a sharp falloff, one dimmer, with a different hue, that spreads much farther out).  You'll also probably want harder shadows in the end to help define your geometry for the viewer, particularly at the cobble border and between houses.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 07:17:17 am
Progress!

There are some weird rendering things happening where certain elements should be dark. I have no idea what is causing it, but I know it isn't really normal. I did some post production after the render (lighting is basically the same as the last one). So, I think that I'm nearing the end of the piece... hopefully.

Offline alspal

• alastair
    • View Profile
    • My games and things

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 04:03:12 am
Looks a lot better, however I feel the colours are too saturated in the dark areas.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 12:23:57 pm
why is my brain still telling me "past the light, the road becomes vertical" while I know that's impossible ?

The perspective is perplexing here ...

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 12:55:36 pm
The lighting on the road is completely botched. Look at the bottom part. The top of the rocks is black, the crevices are actually brighter. The curb stones are dark on top and very light on the side where the light doesn't hit.

For some reason, the lighting is inverted from what it's supposed to be.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:52:59 pm
I have no idea what is causing it, but I know it isn't really normal.

I think you're actually onto it - the problem is a bad normal map I think.  Most likely it's as simple as an inverted axis and it can be fixed in your material properties, but it might be interted palette data on the map itself.

Also as far as the res goes you can still end up with mixed texels if your materials are not uniform, or if you've scaled further for one than the others.  I feel like your texture, if it's not a different resolution, is still both noisy and blurry (not sure if there's a word for this - basically looks like you shot on the wrong filmspeed but it's not a photograph so i don't know what to call it).

I still think that your lantern, as th eonly source of light, needs a few more lights set up with different falloffs and more defined shadows.  You skylight should probably be in the sage-slate range too, right now it's like, why are the rooves lit with an orange glow?

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline McClaneGames

• Evan M
    • View Profile
    • NinetySix, Co.

Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 10:35:07 pm

Offline G_Dragon

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 08:17:06 pm
Thanks for the picture. I've been sitting on this project for a while, and may pick it back up later. It is time to do something different for now.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 11:10:06 pm
I'll be honest, something about the whole scene looks very off to me. And I didn't want to post this because I couldn't quite put my finger on exactly what was wrong. All I know is that looking at this and it just seems wrong. I think it goes all the way back to the original non-textured version you showed in IRC, but even the colored versions still look off.

This has a very soft, plastic-like look that I often see from works coming from zBrush. And maybe this could have been improved with the textures but it looks almost like you're relying solely on the polygons instead of creative use of texturing and other artistic choices. Also, I notice the scene is very... simple. Nothing has to be broken down into simple geometry because it seems like it's already in this form, and to a perfect degree.

Lastly, I don't think the colors suit their purpose very well. Bright blue(which ends up being a very dark and bold blue at night) doesn't seem like the sort of color you'd find a house made out of bricks being. Typically in games the color variety comes from the roof-tops, not the buildings themselves. That's not to say all the walls should be a boring brown shade, but I seriously think it should be toned down and and let the roofs bring color and life to the scene.

Sorry :(

Oh, and what's going on with the inverted brick shading on the path?

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:06 am
This doesn't look like a town from high up, it looks like a miniature.
The roofs look like cookies or any other form of pastry. The way the darker parts are make it look baked and the warm colors do the rest.

Maybe it is because everything has such an uniform size, lines up perfectly and is very, very bumpy for something that's supposed to be large that makes it look that way.
This is especially evident in the bricks surrounding the street, they look like miniature stones in a model city.

If that was intended, more power to ya, if not, well, apart from starting over with a lot more flat shapes, I wouldn't know of a quick way to fix this.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix